none
Exported PDF file size incresed in ssrs 2008r2 compared with ssrs 2005.

Question

• Hello,

I'm migrating the ssrs reports from 2005 to 2008r2. When i compared the PDF file size of both the versions, PDF exported from 2008r2 is larger(82 KB) than the PDF exported from 2005(26 KB). The number of pages and the page contents in both the PDF's are same. I need to fix this issue ASAP.  Please let me know the solution to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by AnjaliBK Monday, March 18, 2013 5:12 AM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 4:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Anjalibk,

From your description, the sample report is exported to a PDF file. In the old server the exported file is small (26k). In the new server the exported file is large (82k), right?

Based on my experience, the issue should be caused we have enabled "HumanReadablePDF" for the PDF data render extension. I exported a report to PDF format. If the "HumanReadablePDF" is enabled, the exported file is 11.3k, however, if the "HumanReadablePDF" is disabled, the exported file is only 2.38k.

So, I would suggest you to check if the "HumanReadablePDF" is enabled in you environment:

1. Open rsreportserver.config with Business Intelligence Development Studio.
    2. Go to the element "Render"
    3. If we have not customized the PDF render extension, please make sure the PDF data render extension is configured like this:
      <Extension Name="PDF" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.ImageRenderer.PDFRenderer,Microsoft.ReportingServices.ImageRendering"/>
      If we have customized the PDF data render extenskon, please make sure the "HumanReadablePDF" is set to false like this:
             <Extension Name="PDF2" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.ImageRenderer.PDFRenderer,Microsoft.ReportingServices.ImageRendering">
              <OverrideNames>
                <Name Language="en-US">PDF Output</Name>
              </OverrideNames>
              <Configuration>
                <DeviceInfo>
                  <HumanReadablePDF>False</HumanReadablePDF>
                </DeviceInfo>
              </Configuration>
            </Extension>

For more information, please see:

PDF Device Information Settings: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms154682(v=sql.105).aspx

Please feel free to ask, if you have any more questions.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:22 AM