none
Install JUST 2008 R2 SSMS silently (not express)

Question

• I want to set up an automated, silent install of SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Studio (not the express version) for some DBAs and developers. I have extracted the sql_ssms.msi file (~70 MB) from the x86 directory to install on Windows XP.  I would like to simply push and use this file instead of the entire 5.5 GB folder for the entire product.

I am using a configuration file for server deployment, but for client workstations, I don't want to do this. I just want to copy only the necessary files for SSMS and launch those. Is this possible? When I install sql_ssms.msi I get errors (Windows installer 4.5 and .NET 3.5 SP1 are indeed installed first).

Friday, November 26, 2010 7:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• This would install only the client tools

\\[SQLServerSetupPath]\setup.exe /qb /ACTION=INSTALL /QUIET /FEATURES=CONN,BC,SSMS

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com

Recent posts on my blog
    Friday, November 26, 2010 8:01 PM
  • This is correct, but also requires the 5.5 Gigs of files. I am already using answer files for server installs (note that in SQL 2008, the switch '/qb' is no longer supported).

I'm looking for a way to just utilize only the files needed for the client tools.

Friday, November 26, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Hi Crater,

We could not install SQL Server Management Studio through sql_ssms.ini from the Installation media, if this is not SQL Server Express, then we need to run the setup.exe and select the SSMS feature during the installation.

Please refer to this link about step by step to install SQL Server 2008, and on the stage of Feature Selection, only select the Management Tools(Basic or Complete) to install:

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2008/06/12/sql-server-2008-step-by-step-installation-guide-with-images/

Also please refer to this link about the components included in the Management Tools:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144275.aspx

Please feel free to ask if there are any questions.

Thanks,
    Weilin Qiao

• Marked as answer by WeiLin QiaoModerator Wednesday, December 08, 2010 8:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Crater Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:52 PM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:58 AM
  • You can download the standalone files from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=56ad557c-03e6-4369-9c1d-e81b33d8026b

Extract the files using 7-zip. Then you can run "setup.exe /?" for command-line options.

I successfully installed it with this command-line: setup.exe /Q /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /ACTION=INSTALL /FEATURES=Tools

Jørgen
    • Proposed as answer by hovelsj Tuesday, April 05, 2011 11:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Crater Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:52 PM
    Tuesday, April 05, 2011 11:27 AM
  • Carter, did you ever manage to create a "compact" Tools install?

I am working on creating SCCM Software Package that should only be Tools and BOL and I also find 5.5 Gigs of files a bit overkill for this package only.

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Thank you hovelsj for your answer, it really saved me a lot of time and worked perfectly with SCCM.

• Proposed as answer by Islam Afifi Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:46 AM
    Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:45 AM
  • Hi Islam,

It will be great to mark hovelsj post as answered since his post is the real answer to you question.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:48 AM
  • Really good, thank you hovelsj.

Worked like a charm, (Deploying through SCCM 2012)

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 2:51 PM