none
SQL 2012 - Executing maintenance plans ends in "error code 0x6e. [SQLSTATE 42000] (ConnIsLoginSysAdmin)"

Question

• Hello,

I'm new to MS SQL 2012, new to MS SQL at all, so sorry for this noob question, if it is one. I'm running a SQL 2012 instance with a maintenance plan configured for backup. Since a few days the maintenance plan fails with following error:

[298] SQLServer Error: 15404, Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'mydom\myuser', error code 0x6e. [SQLSTATE 42000] (ConnIsLoginSysAdmin)

In the past the maintenance plan was executed successful. The mentioned user "mydom\myuser" is member of Domain Admin group. I searched the web and found thousands of hits for this error but none could provide me a answer, why the maintenance plan fails suddenly.

Some words about my configuration:

The SQL Server Agent is running/configured as "NT Service\SQLSERVERAGENT" in SQL Configuration Manager. I do not use a AD Domain user for SQL Server Agent. SQL Server is configured to use Windows Authentication. I also determined, that in lusrmgr.msc there is no local group (e.g. SQLServerMSSQLUser$computername$MSSQLSERVER) where "NT Service\SQLSERVERAGENT" is listed as a member.

Maybe the following information is valuable:

At the day the maintenance plan stoped working, there was a change in AD structure. Some OUs was created and User and Computeraccounts was moved to these new OUs (incl. the SQL Server Computeraccount). Maybe this is the reason?

Thanks in advance,
    Carsten

Friday, March 01, 2013 9:49 PM

Answers

• After endless research, i got this issue solved. The link TiborK provided didn't match to my situation, because the user accounts aren't disabled or something like that. The user who owns the maintenance plans are still active in AD.

So i spend a view at domaincontrollers eventlog. There i saw, that NT Service\SQLSERVERAGENT from my SQL Server was successful with login and his query against the AD followed by the logout. So I guessed a cache problem at this point. Although I restarted the SQLSERVERAGENT service the problem persists. So i decided to reboot the SQL Server at all (maybe restarting the SQL Server instance would have fixed also the issue). After reboot i was able to execute the maintenance plans again.

Thanks anyway for your help!

• Marked as answer by Carsten Lenz Monday, March 04, 2013 3:13 PM
    Monday, March 04, 2013 3:13 PM

All replies

• Yes, the error is due to the change in the AD. The error message does after all say that SQL Server tried to talk with the AD and came back empty-handed. As I'm not knowledgable about Active Directory, I can't say exactly what's wrong there. A hint, maybe, is that 0x6e is 110 decimal, and NET HELPMSG 110 says: The system cannot open the device or file specified.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Saturday, March 02, 2013 10:20 AM
  • The situation seems somewhat related to http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi/archive/2011/10/06/who-owns-your-jobs.aspx

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Sunday, March 03, 2013 4:10 PM
  • After endless research, i got this issue solved. The link TiborK provided didn't match to my situation, because the user accounts aren't disabled or something like that. The user who owns the maintenance plans are still active in AD.

So i spend a view at domaincontrollers eventlog. There i saw, that NT Service\SQLSERVERAGENT from my SQL Server was successful with login and his query against the AD followed by the logout. So I guessed a cache problem at this point. Although I restarted the SQLSERVERAGENT service the problem persists. So i decided to reboot the SQL Server at all (maybe restarting the SQL Server instance would have fixed also the issue). After reboot i was able to execute the maintenance plans again.

Thanks anyway for your help!

• Marked as answer by Carsten Lenz Monday, March 04, 2013 3:13 PM
    Monday, March 04, 2013 3:13 PM