none
some matrix data regions not displaying on report

Question

• I've created a report that has a more than one dataset being displayed on the report.  One data set is being displayed in a matrix that's encapsulated in a List Rectangle.  I also have two Tables being displayed separately on same report but accessing two separate datasets.  here is a display of what I see in my designer.  However, when I do a preview the tablix that I've rent "not displayed", does not show any data unless I move it up directly below the tablix that does display.  If you could draw an imaginary line that stretches across the report at the bottom edge of the List rectangle, nothing below this line will display.

I'm new to SSRS (3 months) and have no idea what may be causing this except maybe some sort of viewing margin, I don't know.  anyway here is what my design looks like, any help or info would be appreciated.

Friday, April 19, 2013 3:53 PM

Answers

• There are some missing details. Is the data identical on each of the first 35 pages? If not, what is different?

You can try moving your bottom matrix to the right some, perhaps directly under the top matrix, next to the list. Also, you could try using a rectangle instead of a list. Add all 3 tablixes to the rectangle setting each to the appropriate dataset. A list is just a tablix template that, by default, shows a single detail cell that has a rectangle in that cell. Using a List means that all embedded controls will use the List's dataset. If you use a rectangle instead, you can add all 3 tablixes to the rectangle and set each to a different dataset.

"You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek." - Blind Seer, O Brother Where Art Thou
    Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others may find the fortune they seek.

• Marked as answer by DD Sawyer Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:45 PM
    Friday, April 19, 2013 7:49 PM

All replies

• More Info -- The data that is being displayed shows up on every page of my report which happens to be a multi page report.  The data that isn't showing up apparently shows up at the back of the report.  So I believe it thinks it is not part of the original report that has 35 pages and sticks it at the end of the report as a 36th page.  I need to get these data items all on the same page and using the same key between the datasets in order to know what subset of data to report on per page.  Thanks again for any assistance.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 5:15 PM
  • There are some missing details. Is the data identical on each of the first 35 pages? If not, what is different?

You can try moving your bottom matrix to the right some, perhaps directly under the top matrix, next to the list. Also, you could try using a rectangle instead of a list. Add all 3 tablixes to the rectangle setting each to the appropriate dataset. A list is just a tablix template that, by default, shows a single detail cell that has a rectangle in that cell. Using a List means that all embedded controls will use the List's dataset. If you use a rectangle instead, you can add all 3 tablixes to the rectangle and set each to a different dataset.

"You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek." - Blind Seer, O Brother Where Art Thou
    Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others may find the fortune they seek.

• Marked as answer by DD Sawyer Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:45 PM
    Friday, April 19, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply.  The first 35 pages are all different as each page refers to a specific Personnel_ID.  So all the data that is on my example is supposed to show on each page and each page should be for one personnel_id.  So the 35 pages I'm getting is one page per personnel_id and then the last page (#36) had the matrix that doesn't show on the other 35 pages.  So it's obviously outside of the page grouping, so I have to figure away through that as well.

I didn't realize this information about the rectangle versus ht e List, so thanks for that.  I'm going to give that a try and see if it makes a difference.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Ok, I've tried Tim's suggestion and it did bring all the items to one page, although the paging doesn't work anymore.  Now, I just have to get the proper paging technique that will allow the data elements in the rectangle (regardless of which dataset they belong to) work off the same personnel record one personnel record per page.
    Monday, April 22, 2013 12:55 PM
  • Is it practical to combine them into 1? What is the common key field in your 3 datasets? If they share a common key, you could put it all into 1 tablix and use Lookup statement to pull in the data from the other datasets.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210531(v=sql.105).aspx

Monday, April 22, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback.  I don't believe Putting them all in one Tablix will work because of the layout and format the data needs to be in.  I've since made subreports out of the different sections of my main report.  This is working so far with a little bit of frustration along the way.  :-)  I'm now trying to pass data between the subreports and the main report which is proving to be challenging as well.  SSRS doesn't make anything easy.  Thanks for your answer though, I've learned a new technique which I'm sure is going to come in handy soon. 
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:45 PM