none
ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database.

Question

• Need some help in figuring out this issue.

The report I am trying to run returns over 14 million records when I get a count directly from the SQL server but I get an error after the report runs for a while. Below is the error message. Does SSRS have a limitation on the number of records? When I look at the memory utilization, it was at 79% utilization. Below is the server setup. Am not sure what else I can do to resolve this.

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1)
    Processor : Intel Xeon CPU X5355 @ 2.66 GHz (2 procs)...64 bit
    Memory : 32 GB

library!WindowsService_0!152c!09/09/2010-13:47:42:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database., ;
    dbcleanup!WindowsService_0!152c!09/09/2010-13:47:42:: e ERROR: Sql Error in CleanOrphanedSnapshots: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.InstrumentedSqlCommand.<ExecuteReader>b__1()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.SqlBoundaryWithReturn`1.Invoke(Method m)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.Storage.WrapAndThrowKnownExceptionTypes(Exception e)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.SqlBoundaryWithReturn`1.Invoke(Method m)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.InstrumentedSqlCommand.ExecuteReader()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.DatabaseSessionStorage.CleanOrphanedSnapshots(Int32& chunksCleaned, Int32& mappingsCleaned, Int32& segmentsCleaned)
    library!WindowsService_0!152c!09/09/2010-13:47:42:: i INFO: Cleaned 0 batch records, 0 policies, 0 sessions, 0 cache entries, 0 snapshots, 0 chunks, 0 running jobs, 0 persisted streams, 0 segments, 0 segment mappings.
    library!WindowsService_0!152c!09/09/2010-13:47:42:: i INFO: Call to CleanBatch() ends
    library!ReportServer_0-2!eb0!09/09/2010-13:50:15:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database., ;
    session!ReportServer_0-2!eb0!09/09/2010-13:50:15:: e ERROR: Sql Error in GetSnapshotData: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    ui!ReportManager_0-1!8a4!09/09/2010-13:50:15:: Unhandled exception: Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportServerException: An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. (rsReportServerDatabaseError) ---> Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportServerException: For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Thursday, September 09, 2010 8:47 PM

Answers

• Hi NMan47,

The error "System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding" means the connection to the SQL Server Reporting Services Report Server catalog database is timeout.

By default, the default number of seconds after which a connection to the report server database times out is 120. While rendering a report, the reporting services need to store the exection information back to the report server database. The will cause the connection to be active. Once the connection is active more than 120 seconds, we will get the Timeout expired error.

In this case, returning 14 million records may not be finished within 120 seconds. This will cause the connection to the report server to exceed 120 seconds.
    So, to solve the issue, we can limit the returned data or increase the value for timeout.
    To set the default timeout value, please follow these steps:

1. Open the rsreportserver.config with Text Editior(e.g. Visual Studio, NotePad). By default, it is hosted in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer
    2. Change the value for 'DatabaseQueryTimeout'. Valid values range from 0 to 2147483647.  A value of 0 specifies an unlimited wait time and therefore is not recommended.
    3. Save the file, and then restart the Reporting Services to apply the changing.

For more information about 'DatabaseQueryTimeout', please see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms157273.aspx

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hi NMan47,

The error "System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding" means the connection to the SQL Server Reporting Services Report Server catalog database is timeout.

By default, the default number of seconds after which a connection to the report server database times out is 120. While rendering a report, the reporting services need to store the exection information back to the report server database. The will cause the connection to be active. Once the connection is active more than 120 seconds, we will get the Timeout expired error.

In this case, returning 14 million records may not be finished within 120 seconds. This will cause the connection to the report server to exceed 120 seconds.
    So, to solve the issue, we can limit the returned data or increase the value for timeout.
    To set the default timeout value, please follow these steps:

1. Open the rsreportserver.config with Text Editior(e.g. Visual Studio, NotePad). By default, it is hosted in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer
    2. Change the value for 'DatabaseQueryTimeout'. Valid values range from 0 to 2147483647.  A value of 0 specifies an unlimited wait time and therefore is not recommended.
    3. Save the file, and then restart the Reporting Services to apply the changing.

For more information about 'DatabaseQueryTimeout', please see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms157273.aspx

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:45 AM
  • Hi Jinchun Chen,

I was looking for answer from long time for this issue, i thought our SharePoint timeout reports execution and we are having high memory pressure but your solution should work perfectly, as i have default value (120). i will change the value and let you know.

Please help me to resolved following issues

1. We have data driven subscriptions,  some bad written sql query hold our subscriptions queue. do you think its related to timeout error?

2. I also see my Tempdb database log file increase so much do you think its related to this? we do backup tempdb and tempdblog database daily.

Do you have any suggestion?  

your expertise and help really appreciated.

regards,

Mitkush

Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:44 AM
  • Hi Jinchun Chen,

My Report is running on SSRS 2008 R2, as far as the "System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired", we changed the default value to considerable amount of time. After that we are getting Thread Aborted exception.

Please help me on this

Below is the Log file:

<Header>
      <Product>Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Version 2009.0100.1600.01 ((KJ_RTM).100402-1539 )</Product>
      <Locale>English</Locale>
        <Path>C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.RSR2\Reporting Services\Logfiles\ReportServerService__11_29_2011_00_05_45.log</Path>
      <SystemName>Test</SystemName>
      <OSName>Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7600</OSName>
      <OSVersion>6.1.7600</OSVersion>
      <ProcessID>1912</ProcessID>
      <Virtualization>Hypervisor</Virtualization>
    </Header>

webserver!ReportServer_0-13!840!11/29/2011-07:58:47:: i INFO: Reporting Web Server started
    resourceutilities!ReportServer_0-13!840!11/29/2011-07:58:47:: i INFO: Reporting Services starting SKU: Developer
    library!ReportServer_0-13!840!11/29/2011-07:58:49:: i INFO: Catalog SQL Server Edition = Developer
    crypto!ReportServer_0-13!840!11/29/2011-07:58:49:: i INFO: Initializing crypto as user: s1\user
    crypto!ReportServer_0-13!840!11/29/2011-07:58:49:: i INFO: Exporting public key
    crypto!ReportServer_0-13!840!11/29/2011-07:58:49:: i INFO: Performing sku validation
    crypto!ReportServer_0-13!840!11/29/2011-07:58:49:: i INFO: Importing existing encryption key
    library!ReportServer_0-13!840!11/29/2011-08:01:54:: i INFO: RenderForNewSession('/SampleReport')
    library!ReportServer_0-13!840!11/29/2011-08:01:57:: Using folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.RSR2Server\Reporting Services\RSTempFiles for temporary files.
    webserver!ReportServer_0-13!840!11/29/2011-08:02:00:: i INFO: Processed report. Report='/SampleReport', Stream=''
    library!ReportServer_0-13!538!11/29/2011-08:04:25:: i INFO: RenderForNewSession('/SampleReport')
    webserver!ReportServer_0-13!538!11/29/2011-08:04:25:: i INFO: Processed report. Report='/SampleReport', Stream=''
    library!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:05:46:: i INO: Call to CleanBatch()
    library!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:05:46:: i INFO: Cleaned 0 batch records, 0 policies, 0 sessions, 0 cache entries, 1 snapshots, 13 chunks, 0 running jobs, 0 persisted streams, 11 segments, 11 segment mappings, 0 edit sessions.
    library!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:05:46:: i INFO: Call to CleanBatch() ends
    library!ReportServer_0-13!f38!11/29/2011-08:06:18:: i INFO: RenderForNewSession('/SampleReport')
    webserver!ReportServer_0-13!f38!11/29/2011-08:06:18:: i INFO: Processed report. Report='/SampleReport', Stream=''
    library!ReportServer_0-13!140!11/29/2011-08:07:07:: i INFO: RenderForNewSession('/SampleReport')
    library!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:15:46:: i INFO: Call to CleanBatch()
    library!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:20:46:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: , An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database.;
    dbcleanup!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:20:46:: e ERROR: Sql Error in CleanOrphanedSnapshots: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    library!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:20:46:: i INFO: Cleaned 0 batch records, 0 policies, 1 sessions, 0 cache entries, 0 snapshots, 0 chunks, 0 running jobs, 0 persisted streams, 0 segments, 0 segment mappings, 0 edit sessions.
    library!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:20:46:: i INFO: Call to CleanBatch() ends
    library!ReportServer_0-13!534!11/29/2011-08:21:50:: i INFO: RenderForNewSession('/SampleReport')
    library!ReportServer_0-13!538!11/29/2011-08:21:51:: i INFO: Initializing SnapshotCompression to 'SQL'  as specified in Server system properties.
    webserver!ReportServer_0-13!534!11/29/2011-08:21:51:: i INFO: Processed report. Report='/SampleReport', Stream=''
    library!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:25:46:: i INFO: Call to CleanBatch()
    library!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:30:46:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: , An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database.;
    dbcleanup!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:30:46:: e ERROR: Sql Error in CleanOrphanedSnapshots: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An error occurred within the report server database.  This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    library!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:30:46:: i INFO: Cleaned 0 batch records, 0 policies, 1 sessions, 0 cache entries, 0 snapshots, 0 chunks, 0 running jobs, 0 persisted streams, 0 segments, 0 segment mappings, 0 edit sessions.
    library!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:30:46:: i INFO: Call to CleanBatch() ends
    library!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:35:46:: i INFO: Call to CleanBatch()
    library!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:35:46:: i INFO: Cleaned 0 batch records, 0 policies, 0 sessions, 0 cache entries, 0 snapshots, 0 chunks, 0 running jobs, 0 persisted streams, 0 segments, 0 segment mappings, 0 edit sessions.
    library!WindowsService_19!4dc!11/29/2011-08:35:46:: i INFO: Call to CleanBatch() ends
    processing!ReportServer_0-13!140!11/29/2011-08:37:48:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: An unexpected error occurred in Report Processing. ---> System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.RdlExpressions.ReportRuntime.EvaluateTextRunValueExpression(TextRun textRun)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.OnDemandReportObjectModel.TextRunImpl.GetResult(IReportScopeInstance romInstance)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.InternalTextRunInstance.EvaluateOriginalValue()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.OnDemandReportRendering.InternalTextRunInstance.get_ProcessedWithError()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.TextBox.WriteCustomNonSharedItemProps(RPLElementProps nonSharedProps, RPLWriter rplWriter, PageContext pageContext)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.PageItem.WriteNonSharedItemProps(RPLElementProps elemProps, RPLWriter rplWriter, PageContext pageContext)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.TextBox.WriteItemToStream(RPLWriter rplWriter, PageContext pageContext)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.TextBox.CalculatePage(RPLWriter rplWriter, PageItemHelper lastPageInfo, PageContext pageContext, PageItem[] siblings, RepeatWithItem[] repeatWithItems, Double parentTopInPage, Double& parentPageHeight, Interactivity interactivity)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.Tablix.TablixContext.CalculateDetailCell(PageItem topItem, Int32 colIndex, Boolean collect, PageContext pageContext)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.Tablix.TablixContext.AddDetailCell(TablixCell cellDef, Int32 colIndex, Double cellColDefWidth, Double cellCellDefHeight, Boolean fullOnPage, Boolean collect, Boolean& partialItem)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.Tablix.CreateDetailCell(Tablix tablix, TablixMember colMemberParent, Int32 colGridIndex, TablixContext context)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.Tablix.CreateColumnMemberChildren(Tablix tablix, TablixMember colMemberParent, Int32 defTreeLevel, Boolean parentBorderHeader, Int32 parentRowIndex, Int32 parentColIndex, TablixContext context, Boolean createDetail, LevelInfo& parentLevelInfo)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.Tablix.CreateColumnMemberChildren(Tablix tablix, TablixMember colMemberParent, Int32 defTreeLevel, Boolean parentBorderHeader, Int32 parentRowIndex, Int32 parentColIndex, TablixContext context, Boolean createDetail, LevelInfo& parentLevelInfo)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.Tablix.CreateRowMemberChildren(Tablix tablix, TablixMember rowMemberParent, InnerToggleState parentToggleState, Int32 defTreeLevel, Boolean parentBorderHeader, Int32 parentRowIndex, Int32 parentColIndex, Int32 level, TablixContext context, Boolean& advanceRow, LevelInfo& parentLevelInfo, List`1& ignoreTotals, Boolean keepTogether)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.Tablix.CreateRowMemberChildren(Tablix tablix, TablixMember rowMemberParent, InnerToggleState parentToggleState, Int32 defTreeLevel, Boolean parentBorderHeader, Int32 parentRowIndex, Int32 parentColIndex, Int32 level, TablixContext context, Boolean& advanceRow, LevelInfo& parentLevelInfo, List`1& ignoreTotals, Boolean keepTogether)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.Tablix.CreateTablixItems(Tablix tablix, TablixContext context)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.Tablix.CalculatePage(RPLWriter rplWriter, PageItemHelper lastPageInfo, PageContext pageContext, PageItem[] siblings, RepeatWithItem[] repeatWithItems, Double parentTopInPage, Double& parentPageHeight, Interactivity interactivity)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.ReportBody.CalculatePage(RPLWriter rplWriter, PageItemHelper lastPageInfo, PageContext pageContext, PageItem[] siblings, RepeatWithItem[] repeatWithItems, Double parentTopInPage, Double& parentPageHeight, Interactivity interactivity)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.ReportSection.CalculatePage(RPLWriter rplWriter, Int32 page, Int32 totalPages, Int32 regionPageNumber, Int32 regionTotalPages, Boolean firstSectionOnPage, Boolean lastSection, Interactivity interactivity, Double heightToBeUsed, PageItemHelper& lastBodyInfo, Boolean& delayedHeader, Boolean& delayedFooter, Boolean& lastSectionOnPage)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.Report.NextPage(RPLWriter rplWriter, ReportSectionHelper& lastPageInfo, Int32 page, Int32 totalPages, Interactivity interactivity, Boolean hasPaginationChunk)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.SPBProcessing.GetReportNextPage(Stream& stream, Boolean collectPageBookmarks)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.SPBProcessing.SPBProcessing.GetNextPage(RPLReport& rplReport, Boolean collectPageBookmarks)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.HtmlRenderer.ServerRenderer.GetNextPage()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.HtmlRenderer.HTML4Renderer.InitializeReport()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.HtmlRenderer.Html40RenderingExtension.CreateRenderer(Report report, NameValueCollection reportServerParams, DeviceInfo deviceInfo, NameValueCollection rawDeviceInfo, NameValueCollection browserCaps, CreateAndRegisterStream createAndRegisterStreamCallback, Hashtable& renderProperties, Int32 totalPages)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.HtmlRenderer.Html40RenderingExtension.InternalRender(Report report, NameValueCollection reportServerParameters, NameValueCollection deviceInfo, NameValueCollection clientCapabilities, Hashtable& renderProperties, CreateAndRegisterStream createAndRegisterStream)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.HtmlRenderer.RenderingExtensionBase.Render(Report report, NameValueCollection reportServerParameters, NameValueCollection deviceInfo, NameValueCollection clientCapabilities, Hashtable& renderProperties, CreateAndRegisterStream createAndRegisterStream)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessing.RenderReport(IRenderingExtension newRenderer, DateTime executionTimeStamp, ProcessingContext pc, RenderingContext rc, IChunkFactory metaDataChunkFactory, IChunkFactory yukonCompiledDefinition)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---;

pvdp
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:47 AM
  • I was getting the same issue above trying to render as MHTML email attachment . The reporting service just mysteriously stopped working.

I tried the solution above to no avail till i modified this section as shown below in my rsreportserver.config:

<RenderingExtension>HTML4.0</RenderingExtension>

Now the emails are coming through but the report comes as an attached mhtml file. Previously it was rendering correctly and one could view directly on one's email client (outlook in our case).

So to me, this is still not a complete solution. Any one who has been able to overcome this?

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 12:11 PM
  • This seems to be a microsoft bug that has persisted even in sql 2008 R2.

The workaround (and not permanent solution) was to go to Reporting Services Configuration Manager -> Database -> click on the Change Credentials and provide the Report Server credentials afresh and Click to apply to the Report server database.

Afterwards the email subscriptions worked fine without a hitch. It seems the database credentials used to connect to the Reports database get lost or corrupted at some point in time and require a manual reapply of the credentials but definitely this is a bug.

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 6:11 AM