none
What is CTP,RTM,SR versions of SQL Server?

Question

• Hi,

Please help me with these terms: CTP,RTM,SR,R2 and so on.

What is the long form of these and what do they mean?

What is the difference between each of them?

Is

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 2 different from SQL Server 2008 SP2 CTP?

I have downloaded SQL Server 2008 SP2 CTP, do i have to download again SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 2?

If CTP version is different from the one without CTP tag, which one shall i install on my computer and Why?

I am Windows7 Ultimate?

Please help me, i am so confused.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:53 PM

Answers

• Just to make it clear installing enterprise edition of SQL Server on a client OS (XP, Vista or Windows 7) is not supported you need a Windows Server operating systems for it to run.

Assuming you are trying to installing on a server system, yes you can run both express and enterprise edition side by side.

You can find download link for latest service packs for SQL server at http://www.sqlteam.com/article/sql-server-versions

• Marked as answer by nccsbim071 Thursday, September 30, 2010 5:26 PM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:50 PM
  • CTP means Community Technology Preview. It means you can use it but its not the final version of a software and things  may change when product is finally released.

RTM means release to manufacturing.

SPs are service packs. It means product updates and bug fixes for that release.

While R2 referes to  Release 2, and it generally includes enhancements that can not be included as part of service packs.

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 2 different from SQL Server 2008 SP2 CTP? Yes

>>If CTP version is different from the one without CTP tag, which one shall i install on my computer and Why?

You should install  RTM version of SQL Server 2008 along with latest service packs (I believe it is SP1)

There is a new version of SQL server released few months ago it is called SQL Server 2008 R2, it is a successor of SQL Server 2008 and includes many Business Intelligence (SSIS) related changes.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:15 PM
  • The latest Service Pack for SQL Server 2008 is yesterday's released SP2.
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    • Marked as answer by nccsbim071 Friday, October 01, 2010 5:05 AM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:07 PM

All replies

• CTP means Community Technology Preview. It means you can use it but its not the final version of a software and things  may change when product is finally released.

RTM means release to manufacturing.

SPs are service packs. It means product updates and bug fixes for that release.

While R2 referes to  Release 2, and it generally includes enhancements that can not be included as part of service packs.

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 2 different from SQL Server 2008 SP2 CTP? Yes

>>If CTP version is different from the one without CTP tag, which one shall i install on my computer and Why?

You should install  RTM version of SQL Server 2008 along with latest service packs (I believe it is SP1)

There is a new version of SQL server released few months ago it is called SQL Server 2008 R2, it is a successor of SQL Server 2008 and includes many Business Intelligence (SSIS) related changes.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Hi Chirag,

Thanks a lot for the reply. you cleared lot's of my doubts.

I have few more questions:

I have sqlserver 2008 expression installed on my computer.

If i need to upgrade this version of software what shall i do?

I have sqlserver 2008 enterprise edition software , shall i remove the existing expression version of sqlserver from my computer and install sqlserver 2008 enterprise edition?

If i install sqlserver 2008 enterprise edition software, which service pack shall i apply to it?

Thanks,

Randhir

Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Just to make it clear installing enterprise edition of SQL Server on a client OS (XP, Vista or Windows 7) is not supported you need a Windows Server operating systems for it to run.

Assuming you are trying to installing on a server system, yes you can run both express and enterprise edition side by side.

You can find download link for latest service packs for SQL server at http://www.sqlteam.com/article/sql-server-versions

Thursday, September 30, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Hi Chirag,

Thanks for all the help.

Randhir

Thursday, September 30, 2010 5:37 PM
  • The latest Service Pack for SQL Server 2008 is yesterday's released SP2.
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    • Marked as answer by nccsbim071 Friday, October 01, 2010 5:05 AM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Naomi,  I was not aware about SP2. Thanks for the update.
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:45 PM