none
log_reuse_wait setting

Question

• Hi All

I changed a database from replication to non-replicationg, but sys.databases stil shows

log_reuse_wait column =6 (REPLICATION). Consequently the log file keeps growing and am not able to shrink it. Any body know how to fix this ?

Thanks

K T

Monday, August 21, 2006 10:24 PM

Answers

• What build are you using, RTM or SP1?  There was a bug similar to what you were describing in RTM that was fixed in SP1, but only happens under certain conditions.

A quick workaround is to re-enable your database for replication, add a publication, then drop the publication, and remove replication.  If this doesn't work, let me know and we can try something else.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 10:11 PM

All replies

• How did you remove replication? If you do exec sp_dboption inside the database, is one of the rows returned equal to "published"?  If so, the database is still published for transactional replication, which is the reason your log is still growing.
    Tuesday, August 22, 2006 3:31 PM
  •  

Hi Greg

Using the Man. Studio.

First dropeed subscriptions

Dropped Publications

Then disabled database for publication

When I run exec sp_dboption  'dbname', 'published' returns

published OFF

Thanks

K T

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:33 PM
  • Since you removed replication altogether for the database, you can try sp_removedbreplication, although i don't think it will make a difference at this point.

Did you back up the transaction log? If the database recovery model is set to FULL, you can't reduce the size of the file until you back up the transaction log.  If the databse recovery model is set to SIMPLE, but the log size continues to grow, then can you verify you don't have any large transactions running in the background?

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:38 PM
  • The DB is in simple mode. I dont see any log running transaction

I also did do sp_removedbreplication.  dbcc open tran (see below) seems to indicate that some how the db is still marked for replication !

sys.datbases also shows is_published=0

dbcc opentran gives

Transaction information for database 'Campaigns'.

Replicated Transaction Information:

Oldest distributed LSN : (0:0:0)

Oldest non-distributed LSN : (926374:31:1)

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:37 PM
  • What build are you using, RTM or SP1?  There was a bug similar to what you were describing in RTM that was fixed in SP1, but only happens under certain conditions.

A quick workaround is to re-enable your database for replication, add a publication, then drop the publication, and remove replication.  If this doesn't work, let me know and we can try something else.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 10:11 PM
  • Hi greg

That seemed to work.

I finally was able to shrink the log file. Now I have to watch if file growth starts again. The log_reuse_wait has also changed to 1(NOTHING).

By the way the build is SP1 (9.00.1399.06) without the hot fixes.

Thanks a whole lot !.

K T

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 10:50 PM
  • I'm glad it worked, if you can you should upgrade to SP1, there are many other bugs that have been fixed as well.  You quoted build 1399.06, with is RTM, SP1 would be build 9.00.2047.
    Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:03 PM
  • Ah.. yes this is a dev box that did not get updated. Thanks for catching the gaff.

Version 9.00.2153.00 is getting ready for production. Hope there are no issues on that one!!!

K T

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:57 PM
  • This issue still exists in the SP1 hopefully they have fixed it in SP2 lets see. *** it almost killed my prod box.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 12:00 AM
  • Hi All,
    I have a problem similar to this one.  I can't run my regularly scheduled maintenance backup for this db. The message is log_reuse_wait column =6 (REPLICATION).

This db is technically no longer in replication - the old replication job was deleted, the subcription was removed from the subscriber db, but when I try to delete the subscription and the publication from the publisher db, I get the error:

"The transaction log for db 'mydb' is full.  To find out why space in the log cannot be reused, see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases."

So - I can't delete the old replication or alter the dboptions since the trans log is full,  and I can't shrink the trans log because the db is still listed as being in replcation.

Can someone please help? 
    Thanks,
    IF

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 4:43 PM
  • if you can't shrink it, can you try increasing the size of the log file then?  THen there will be enough space needed to do the other operations that require log space.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Thank you! That worked. After that I was able to delete the subscription. I needed to run "exec sp_removedbreplication 'mydb' to delete the publication.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:18 PM
  • I just had this problem in SQL 2008 with SP2.  The answer was to run sp_removedbreplication and then I could shrink the logfile.  Thank you so much for this information!!
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:36 PM