none
Offline cubes

Question

• Hi all, I have to handle some offline cubes (.cub), they are all different silces of the same cube. I can access to them using excel2010 and using power pivot as well, but i'd like to load them to an analysis server and possibly to rebuild the cune from which all those slices have been taken.

Is it possible?? if so, how can i do?....my experience is related to sql2000, i must use sql2008

Thanks

Thursday, February 02, 2012 3:29 PM

All replies

• Hi X-air,

I am not sure i understand your problem correctly.

If you want clients to be able to modify the contents of the cube, you could consider write-back feature. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174750.aspx to learn more details about applying writeback for cube partition/dimension.

If you want to rebuild offline cubes, use REFRESH CUBE statement to rebuild a local cube and update its data. For more information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms146078.aspx .

Regards,
    Jerry

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Dear Jerry, thanks for your answer.

my problem is the following:

I have two files: a.cub and b.cub

They are two slice offline cube. They have the same multidimensional structure, same original cube, let's call it C.cub. They have been 'extracted' basing on a dimension selection, this dimension is Market.

So a.cub is derived from C.cub where Market='North' and b.cub is derived from C.cub where Market='South'.

What I was asking is if it is possible tu rebuild the original C.cub starting from a.cub and b.cub

Once i could obtain C.cub I'd like if possible to manage it from Analysis Server.

Thanks

x-air71

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Do you not have access to the source cube in Analysis services?  If you do, you could either backup and restore that analysis services database or script it out, and deploy that way. 

I've not seen what you appear to be asking - to build a cube from an offline OLAP data set. 

Mike

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 12:11 PM
  • Hi Mike, i don't have access to the source cube. So do you think it is possible, using an etl tool like dts or integration services, to access the .cub files and 'transport' their data into a SQL Server DB?

Thanks

Marco

x-air71

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:07 PM