none
Backup / Restore to different server - "Media family is incorrectly formed"

Question

• Hi, I am taking a backup from one server, restoring on another, and get a media family error.

My Process:

1. TAKE BACKUP ON PRODUCTION [10.0.2757.0 | SP1 | Standard Edition (64-bit)]

2. VERIFY BACKUP IS VALID ON PRODUCTION:

RESTORE VERIFYONLY FROM DISK =  'F:\DataExport\ContentRefresh8Dec.bak'

The backup set on file 1 is valid.

3. COPY BACKUP FILE TO LOCAL SERVER [10.0.1600.22 | RTM | Enterprise Edition]

Have tried zipping, CRC checking, etc, to ensure file is not corrupt

4. VERIFY BACKUP IS VALID ON LOCAL SERVER

RESTORE VERIFYONLY FROM DISK =  'D:\Backups\ContentRefresh8Dec.bak'

Msg 3241, Level 16, State 0, Line 1
        The media family on device 'D:\Backups\ContentRefresh8Dec.bak' is incorrectly formed.     SQL Server cannot process this media family.
        Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
        VERIFY DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

My Questions:

1. My server versions are slightly different (FROM: 10.0.2757.0 TO: 10.0.1600.22) - is this likely to be causing the problem?

2. Are there any options that I should be setting when taking the backup that could be making the problem happen?

Anything else?

Many thanks!

Chris.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 4:01 PM

All replies

• I don't know of anything that went into SP1 which would have changed the backup format.

We generally do not put any breaking changes (or significant new functionality) into SP's.

I'm setting up a machine to repro the situation, but unfortunately need to flatten and reinstall my server first.

Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine PM
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 1:52 AM
  • Thanks Kevin,

I appreciate the help. I'll be here to provide any more details should you need them.

Chris.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Has this happened just once or you can reproduce the issue whenever you want?

As Kevin has mentioned, we do not put any breaking changes in any SP, so, I do not think SP1 to RTM is causing the issue. There must be something else that is causing the issue.

Meanwhile, can you copy the backup file from the LOCAL SERVER back to the PRODUCTION server and run RESTORE VERIFYONLY on the copied file? Does it return any errors?

Suhas De
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please mark solved if your question is completely answered; vote it as helpful to help others find a solution quicker.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/suhde
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 10:05 AM
  • Hi Suhas,

- I can replicate this whenever I want. I tried a RESTORE VERIFYONLY on another server (also running 10.0.1600.22) and got the same error message:

Msg 3241, Level 16, State 0, Line 1
         The media family on device 'D:\Backups\ContentRefresh8Dec.bak' is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family.
         Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
         VERIFY DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

- I copied the file back up to the Production servers, and got the following response:

RESTORE VERIFYONLY FROM DISK =  'F:\DataImport\ContentRefresh8Dec.bak'

The backup set on file 1 is valid.

Have you ever heard of this problem coming from Security issues? Or Collation issues? I'm a bit desperate here!

(Also, I can sanitize the data and send the .Bak to you if this helps)

Thanks,

Chris.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 11:09 AM
  • Thanks for the info. There seems to be something interesting going on here. While Kevin tries to do a repro, can you check a few things very quickly?

1. Please cross check the SQL Server versions using the select @@version command.
    2. Please paste in the output of the following command:
      RESTORE HEADERONLY FROM DISK = 'F:\DataImport\ContentRefresh8Dec.bak'

Suhas De
    Please mark answered if your question is completely answered; vote it as helpful to help others find a solution quicker.
    This posting is provided "AS IS"; with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/suhde
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 12:20 PM
  • I just set up a fresh VM with 2 instances:  SQL Server 2008 RTM (11.0.1600.22) and SQL Server 2008 SP1 (11.0.2531.0).

I created a database on the SP1 instance, and backed it up:

BACKUP DATABASE [MyTestDB] TO DISK='D\Backups\MyTestDB.BAK' WITH INIT, FORMAT

Then I connected to the RTM instance, and did:

RESTORE VERIFYONLY FROM DISK='D:\Backups\MyTestDB.BAK'

The result was success, and a report that this was a valid backup archive.

Microsoft SQL Server Storage Engine PM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:33 AM
  • Hi Chris
    As Suhas metioned, please post

1. Select @@version from both servers
    2. Please post output of Restore Headeronly

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani
    Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:49 AM