none
C++ SDK for SQL Compact 4 (OLE DB Provider ID etc)

Question

• I'm currently evaluating SQL Compact as one migration path for an applicaiton using Jet. The application uses OLE DB and it would be a benefit to not have to rewrite that part.

I am however missing the SDK for SQL Compact 4  - I can't find a download, nor can I find it locally (VS2010 Express and VS2008 Pro installed). 

It probably boils down to the Provider CLSID, since the provider-specific properties can be picked from the SQLCE 3.5 headers.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:10 AM

Answers

• The requested file is in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v4.0\Include folder on my PC - have you installed VS 2010 SP1 + the SQL Server Compact 4.0 Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Tools?
    Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog
    Monday, October 24, 2011 11:07 AM

All replies

• Hi unuseddisplayname,

Is there error message while using SQL Server Compact 4.0? .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or .NET Framework 4 is needed for managed application development using SQL Server Compact 4.

There are scenarios which are not enabled SQL Server Compact 4.0 since the SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 is the right choice. If it is a Windows project using VB or C# in Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Beta, you can add the reference to the ADO.NET provider for Compact 4.0 manually. For more information: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlservercompact/archive/2011/01/12/microsoft-sql-server-compact-4-0-is-available-for-download.aspx.

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:42 AM
  • Hi,

No, there is no error, just "a missing header".

To clarify: This is a native C++ app, and would prefer to continue using OLE DB.
    I get SQLCE 4 to work by using the SQLCE 3.5 headers (mainly, "sqlce_oledb.h"), and the OLE DB Provider ID taken from the registry. This does not appear to be the intended solution, however.

This header is also referenced in the SQL Compact 4.0 samples.

However, after installing .NET Framework 3.5, .NET Framework 4, Visual studio 2010 Express and Visual Studio 2008 professional, there is no such header to be found, only the one delivered with SQLCE 3.5 (which lacks at the very least the crucial Provider ID for SQLCE4).

To rephrase my question: Which SDK/Framework contains the <sqlce_oledb.h> and other headers, as they are used in the online documentation for SQL Compact 4?

(If someone else has the same problem: the SQLCE 4 Provider ID is {2006C53A-C915-41EA-BAA9-9EAB3A1FBF97})

Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:18 PM
  • The requested file is in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v4.0\Include folder on my PC - have you installed VS 2010 SP1 + the SQL Server Compact 4.0 Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Tools?
    Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog
    Monday, October 24, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Hi Erik,

The Files get installed with SQL Server Compact 4.0 Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Tools (which requires VS 2010 SP1).

The Tools installation fails on my system, because it lacks Common7/IDE/devenv.exe.config: the main devenv here is still VS2008 Pro; the VS 2010 express editions lack the shared IDE, which makes that installation fail). Anyway, I was able to copy the relevant files + samples from under the Instalationbefore the rollback, which kinda solves my problem.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:22 AM