none
26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified

Question

• I try to instal MBAM on my test server (AD + SQL 2008 R2 + WebServer) like it is in the MS Scenario. During the installation I see in the log:

CheckForPrerequisites CA Exception in detecting SQL properties: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

On the page  SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified  I didn't find the solution. SQL Browser service works, and I deactivated the Firewall. I restarted the SQL services and then direct the server. My SQL DB is allowed for remote connections, too. 

Log from PortQry:

Querying target system called:

A-DC01

Attempting to resolve name to IP address...

Name resolved to 172.14.3.181

querying...

UDP port 1434 (ms-sql-m service): LISTENING or FILTERED

Sending SQL Server query to UDP port 1434...

Server's response:

ServerName A-DC01
    InstanceName BITLOCKERDB
    IsClustered No
    Version 10.50.1600.1
    tcp 54742

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:23 PM

Answers

• I've installed two new servers:

1) for AD only

2) for SQL only

And now, on the SQL Server, MBAM Installation Wizzard works without error 26! This problem was finally resolved.

• Marked as answer by Dawid Mitura Friday, February 24, 2012 3:22 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 3:17 PM

All replies

• After 2nd restart the computer and the MBAM's installation wizzard I saw again the error "26" again, but in the wizzard window I became the message:

MBAM Setup Fails with SQL Error: Error obtaining a certificate protected by the master key

Resolution: A master key password is needed for the setup to complete the Transparent data encryption (TDE) in the SQL Server database. Please create a master key encryption and provide a secure password for it.

The solution for this new message was here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2011/07/27/mbam-setup-fails-with-sql-error-error-obtaining-a-certificate-protected-by-the-master-key.aspx

• Marked as answer by Dawid Mitura Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:54 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dawid Mitura Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:38 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Sorry, but the whole installation was unable. In the instalation wizzard I can choose the SQL instance, files are beeing copied... But after all, I receive the information: "Setup was unable to complete"

In the installation log I still se (only twice) the error:

CheckForPrerequisites CA Exception in detecting SQL properties: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Is this still the problem with SQL or not?

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:46 AM
  • I tried this solution (report Manager + CA), but still I see the same error 26...
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:33 AM
  • I've installed two new servers:

1) for AD only

2) for SQL only

And now, on the SQL Server, MBAM Installation Wizzard works without error 26! This problem was finally resolved.

• Marked as answer by Dawid Mitura Friday, February 24, 2012 3:22 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Just FYI:

I meet the other problems, too:

-----------------

1) Error: CheckForPrerequisites CA Exception: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.

Solution.

-----------------

2) Error: SQL Server Configuration Manager, Request failed or the service did not rspond in a timely fashion and EventID 107.

Solution.

-----------------

3) Error: MSI (s) (44:34) [15:15:44:502]: Product: Microsoft BitLocker Administration and Monitoring -- Error 1920. Service 'SQL Server (MBAMDB)' (MSSQL$MBAMDB) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Solution - Start these services as:

- SQL Server - "Domain Admin" (I know that it is still the mistake... I'm looking for the better option)
    - SQL Server Agent - "Local System"
    - SQL Server Reporting - "Network Service"

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Hi Dawid,

Regarding:   - SQL Server - "Domain Admin" (I know that it is still the mistake... I'm looking for the better option)

You only need to give permissions for the SQL Server Service Account to be able to read the SQL Server Certificate, in the Certificates MMC. That worked for me.

Regards,

Jose

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:15 PM
  • This answer doesn't make any sense.

/mike

Monday, July 02, 2012 7:16 PM