none
SSIS package could not open global shared memory to communicate with performance DLL

Question

• Hello Room,

My SSIS package is running into a problem that I did not familiar whenever I executed or run the package.

The errors are:

[SSIS.Pipeline] Warning: Warning: Could not open global shared memory to communicate with performance DLL; data flow performance counters are not available.  To resolve, run this package as an administrator, or on the system's console.

Can someone help and advise please?

Thanks,
    Edwin

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:08 PM

Answers

• Thanks for taking your time and help.

I figured out the problems.  The Flat file source data type that I defined in my Data Conversion incorrect. 

For an example, my source Flat file has a BankAccount may be a varchar(50).

On the other hand, I defined BankAccount as Numeric in the Data Conversion.

Then, I went back to my Data Conversion and defined the BankAccount data type to String (DT_STR) 50. 

It resolved the problems.

Lastly, I deleted the connection between Data Conversion and OLE DB Destination.

Questions:

1. If I changed or modified data type in Data Conversion.  Is it necessary that I need to delete the link between Data Conversion and OLE DB Destination and recreate or define a new table in OLE DB Destination?

Thanks,
    Edwin

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:15 PM

All replies

• Can you run the package from BIDS? When does the error occur? Running from BIDS or running from the Server?

Might be a permissions thing. Does you login have sufficient rights?

Todd C - MSCTS SQL Server 2005 - Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:43 PM
  • This is only a warning.

SSIS packages attempt to update performance counters on the machine they are executing on.  But write access to those performance counters is restricted in order to prevent malicious use.  Typically, packages are not executed with administrative priviliges, which are the default access level for writing to those counters.

To resolve, you can:

1. Ignore the message.  You probably aren't monitoring those counters anyway.
    2. Give the account your packages are executing under permission to update those performance counters.
    3. Change the account your packages are executing under to grant them admin privileges.

I'd recommend #1 unless you need those counters.

Todd McDermid's Blog Talk to me now on
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Thanks for taking your time and help.

I figured out the problems.  The Flat file source data type that I defined in my Data Conversion incorrect. 

For an example, my source Flat file has a BankAccount may be a varchar(50).

On the other hand, I defined BankAccount as Numeric in the Data Conversion.

Then, I went back to my Data Conversion and defined the BankAccount data type to String (DT_STR) 50. 

It resolved the problems.

Lastly, I deleted the connection between Data Conversion and OLE DB Destination.

Questions:

1. If I changed or modified data type in Data Conversion.  Is it necessary that I need to delete the link between Data Conversion and OLE DB Destination and recreate or define a new table in OLE DB Destination?

Thanks,
    Edwin

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:15 PM
  • Edwin,
    Generally it is not neccessary. The designer will validate the conversion on data types or code pages etc automatically. You usually can solve the error validation message at design time without removing the link.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Thursday, July 01, 2010 8:23 AM
  • Charles,

I'm not sure.   For example,  The Flat file source has a Voucher_ID as String[DT_STR]  and connected to OLE DB Destination that already defined a table

Voucher_ID as String.

Now, I went back to change the Flat File source's Voucher_ID to four-byte signed integer[DT_I4].

The OLE DB Destination still defined a table with Voucher_ID as string.

Can you clarify on this?

Thanks,
    Edwin

Thursday, July 01, 2010 2:38 PM
  • Edwin,

It does not matter. You do not need to relink the two components. If you want to change the type of your destination's table's column to int, you can manually change it via T-SQL or SSMS. You can also double click the OLE DB Destination to simply create a new table and re-map the columns. If changing the column type is not required, you can just keep the link since DT_I4 can be mapped to varchar columns in your SQL Server. They are compatible.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Monday, July 05, 2010 10:21 AM