none
How to upgrade SQL Server 2008 Express R2 to SQL Server 2012 Express

Question

• Trying this upgrade with "SQL Server Installation Center" (starting SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe in Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard) and using the choise

"Upgrade from SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2008 R2"

When upgrading there comes in "Upgrade Rules" step the following error:

Rule "SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 or later is required for upgrade." failed

"Install SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 2 or later ...."

But there is no SP2 for 2008 Express ?

This same error came also if I first upgraded

SQL Server 2008 Express R2  to SQL Server 2008 Express R2 SP1 and then upgrade this to 2012.

How can this update be done ?

• Edited by zg1 Wednesday, May 09, 2012 11:33 AM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 11:15 AM

Answers

• have you tried to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 Express SP3 first and than upgrade SQL Server 2012 Express?

SQL Server 2008 Express with SP3 can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27597 (there seems to be no separate SP3 but you should be able to upgrade SQL Server 2008 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express SP3 by doing an inplace-upgrade)

What is preventing you to just uninstall SQL Server 2008 Express and install SQL Server 2012 Express and restoring/attaching the databases ?

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

• Marked as answer by zg1 Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:15 AM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:12 PM

All replies

• Can you attach screen shot for the rule failure ?

can you upload and share summary and detail logs

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 11:32 AM
  • Here is the error dialog.

Everything went OK until this step.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 11:42 AM
  • Can you share discovery reports ?

to get those fo to command line then to media location and from the command line run

setup.exe /Action=RunDiscovery

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 11:48 AM
  • Here is the report.

I changed our instance name to INSTANCE manually into this report.

This is the Express version with advanced parameters.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 12:14 PM
  • From SQL server 2012 upgrade matrix http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx

you need to have SQL Server 2008 R2 express at SP1 level.

you can download SP1 for SQL server 2008 R2 from

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26727

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team

• Proposed as answer by thesnoman Sunday, October 06, 2013 10:05 PM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 12:31 PM
  • I have tried it also, as I said in the beginning.

I first installed the Express version from here (R2 SP1, SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26729

But the result was the same, there was the same errormessage when trying to upgrade to 2012 Express.

I'll try this once more and inform the results.

What I'm wondering is, that the errormessage says

"Install SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 2 or later ...."

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 12:42 PM
  • I installed the SQL Server 2008 Express R2 SP1 but the discovery report still says the same version information 10.50.1600.1 ?

Installation center said that at the end: "Your SQL Server 2008 R2 upgrade completed successfully.

When upgrading SP1 there were a message "One or more affected files have operations pending. You must restart your computer to complete this process"

Is this meaningfull ?

Should the SQL Server services be stopped during the upgrade or what does this mean ?

There comes still the same errormessage when trying to upgrade to version 2012 event if I tried to upgrade SP1.

How can I be sure that the SP1 was installed correctly ?

Maybe the problem is that SP1 was not installed OK.

• Edited by zg1 Wednesday, May 09, 2012 2:00 PM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 1:59 PM
  • I think the SP1 was installed OK because when I try to install it again, there comes the next:

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Do you have another instance on this box that is SQL Server 2008 (not R2)?  The error message actually states that 2008 SP2 is required, though it is not easy to notice it.  Not sure if it is a typo/bug in the error message or actually the root of the problem.  If you have a 2008 instance, can you upgrade that to SP2 and try your upgrade again?

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:17 PM
  • I do not have another instance only this one.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:38 PM
  • have you tried to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 Express SP3 first and than upgrade SQL Server 2012 Express?

SQL Server 2008 Express with SP3 can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27597 (there seems to be no separate SP3 but you should be able to upgrade SQL Server 2008 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express SP3 by doing an inplace-upgrade)

What is preventing you to just uninstall SQL Server 2008 Express and install SQL Server 2012 Express and restoring/attaching the databases ?

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

• Marked as answer by zg1 Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:15 AM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:12 PM
  • Are you sure that the installed version is 64 bit ? is it under %program files% or %program files (x86)% ?

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team

Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:13 AM
  • Some progress.

I used this way and it was working OK. Thanks Daniel !

Have you tried to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 Express SP3 first and than upgrade SQL Server 2012 Express?

I tried this too but it was not working.

Are you sure that the installed version is 64 bit ? is it under %program files% or%program files (x86)% ?

It was 64 bit version.

There must be something wrong with the upgrade procedure because it was not working even if there were right versions installed  ?

But anyway I succeeded to do it in the hard way so case closed :-)

• Edited by zg1 Friday, May 11, 2012 5:06 AM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:14 AM