none
Cannot Uninstall SQL Server Express 2008

Question

• I get the following error code when I try and uninstall this server: 0x84B30002.

What follows is the contents of the summary.txt file:

Overall summary:

Final result: Failed: see details below

Exit code (Decimal): -2068643838

Exit facility code: 1203

Exit error code: 2

Exit message: No feature were uninstalled during the setup execution. The requested features may not be installed. Please review the summary.txt logs for further details.

Start time: 2010-05-04 14:36:04

End time: 2010-05-04 14:37:26

Requested action: Uninstall

Machine Properties:

Machine name: HAIRYYAK-PC

Machine processor count: 4

OS version: Windows 7

OS service pack:

OS region: United Kingdom

OS language: English (United States)

OS architecture: x86

Process architecture: 32 Bit

OS clustered: No

Product features discovered:

Product Instance Instance ID Feature Language Edition Version Clustered

Sql Server 2008 SQLEXPRESS MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS Database Engine Services 1033 Express Edition 10.1.2531.0 No

Sql Server 2008 SQLEXPRESS MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS SQL Server Replication 1033 Express Edition 10.1.2531.0 No

Package properties:

Description: SQL Server Database Services 2008 R2

ProductName: SQL Server 2008 R2

Type: RTM

Version: 10

SPLevel: 0

Installation edition: EVAL

User Input Settings:

ACTION: Uninstall

CONFIGURATIONFILE: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20100504_143548\ConfigurationFile.ini

ENU: False

FARMACCOUNT: <empty>

FARMADMINPORT: 0

FARMPASSWORD: *****

FEATURES:

HELP: False

IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS: False

INDICATEPROGRESS: False

INSTANCEID: <empty>

INSTANCENAME: <empty>

PASSPHRASE: *****

QUIET: False

QUIETSIMPLE: False

UIMODE: Normal

X86: True

Configuration file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20100504_143548\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

There are no scenario-specific rules.

Rules report file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20100504_143548\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

Exception summary:

The following is an exception stack listing the exceptions in outermost to innermost order

Inner exceptions are being indented

Exception type: Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.NoopWorkflowException

No feature were uninstalled during the setup execution. The requested features may not be installed. Please review the summary.txt logs for further details.

Basically I forgot I already had an instance of SQL server installed on my machine and installed this one. I have installed the later instance but I have no means of uninstalling the other instance (the SQL Server Express uninstallation routine only allows me to select the latest instance in order to uninstall).

Also I cannot get rid of this programs from my Control Panel:

Microsoft SQL Server R2 Setup (English)

Microsoft SQL Server R2

But I think this is a side effect of having an instance of SQL Server Express still on my machine, well that's what I read from the

documentation.

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 1:47 PM

Answers

• I get the following error code when I try and uninstall this server: 0x84B30002.

Overall summary:

Exit message: No feature were uninstalled during the setup execution. The requested features may not be installed. Please review the summary.txt logs for further details.

Machine Properties:

OS service pack:

Sql Server 2008 SQLEXPRESS MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS Database Engine Services 1033 Express Edition 10.1.2531.0 No

Sql Server 2008 SQLEXPRESS MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS SQL Server Replication 1033 Express Edition 10.1.2531.0 No

Package properties:

User Input Settings:

CONFIGURATIONFILE: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20100504_143548\ConfigurationFile.ini

FEATURES:

Configuration file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20100504_143548\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

Rules report file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20100504_143548\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

Exception summary:

The following is an exception stack listing the exceptions in outermost to innermost order

Exception type: Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.NoopWorkflowException

No feature were uninstalled during the setup execution. The requested features may not be installed. Please review the summary.txt logs for further details.

Basically I forgot I already had an instance of SQL server installed on my machine and installed this one. I have installed the later instance but I have no means of uninstalling the other instance (the SQL Server Express uninstallation routine only allows me to select the latest instance in order to uninstall).

Microsoft SQL Server R2

But I think this is a side effect of having an instance of SQL Server Express still on my machine, well that's what I read from the

documentation.

I figured out how to do it.

I upgraded the existing database after uninstalling the additional one - I don't know which version of SQL Server this was (the installtion routine for SQL Express 2005 reported it as SQL Express 2000 and the one for SQL Express 2008 reported it was an SQL 2008 Express database). Not thati made any difference because the installation routine for SQL Express 2008 is capable of upgrading both versions thankfully. Then I uninstalled. 

• Marked as answer by yakattack99 Thursday, May 06, 2010 12:29 PM
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 12:29 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please see the following articles:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337087(SQL.90).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337087(SQL.90).aspx

If that does not work, then use the following utility:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

You should be able to uninstall SQL Server 2008 Express using the means mentioned in the following article: http://blogs.msdn.com/sreekarm/archive/2010/03/15/sql-express-is-not-installed-properly-steps-to-be-taken-before-reinstall-again.aspx.

If you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 7:56 AM

Overall summary:

Machine Properties:

OS service pack:

Package properties:

User Input Settings:

FEATURES:

Detailed results:

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

Exception summary:

Microsoft SQL Server R2

documentation.

I figured out how to do it.

I upgraded the existing database after uninstalling the additional one - I don't know which version of SQL Server this was (the installtion routine for SQL Express 2005 reported it as SQL Express 2000 and the one for SQL Express 2008 reported it was an SQL 2008 Express database). Not thati made any difference because the installation routine for SQL Express 2008 is capable of upgrading both versions thankfully. Then I uninstalled. 

• Marked as answer by yakattack99 Thursday, May 06, 2010 12:29 PM
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 12:29 PM