none
How to reset saved login/password in Sql Server 2008 's Management Studio?

Question

• How to reset saved login/password in Sql Server 2008 's Management Studio?
    My saved password is wrong so I wanna remove it. I don't know where to do that.
    Please help!

Nam.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 11:08 AM

Answers

• Hello

TO accomplish this work-around to the problem, you can save off a copy of your local c:\Documents and Settings\{you}\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell\mru.dat file. When management studio overwrites your saved password with an empty string like you describe, you could close management studio and then copy your backup mru.dat file over the more recent one.  This will reset the saved settings of the connection dialog and other "most recently used" items in the UI to their saved values.
    Regards RM Thirunavukkarasu MCP, MCITP http://thiruna.blog.com Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem
    Monday, January 18, 2010 12:56 PM

All replies

• My saved password is wrong so I wanna remove it. I don't know where to do that.
    Please help!

Nam.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 11:05 AM
  • Right click properties on the registered server that you would like to change the password. You can even change the authentication method, if you want to.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 12:42 PM
  • In SSMS right click properties on the registered server that you would like to change the password. You can even change the authentication method, if you want to.

OR

You need to logon the server using login which has the right permission, see below from Books Online:

It requires ALTER ANY LOGIN permission.

If the CREDENTIAL option is used, also requires ALTER ANY CREDENTIAL permission.

If the login that is being changed is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role or a grantee of CONTROL SERVER permission, also requires CONTROL SERVER permission when making the following changes:

• Resetting the password without supplying the old password.
    • Enabling MUST_CHANGE, CHECK_POLICY, or CHECK_EXPIRATION.
    • Changing the login name.
    • Enabling or disabling the login.
    • Mapping the login to a different credential.

A principal can change the password, default language, and default database for its own login.

For more information on Alter Login see here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189828.aspx

Saturday, January 16, 2010 12:42 PM
  • Hello

TO accomplish this work-around to the problem, you can save off a copy of your local c:\Documents and Settings\{you}\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell\mru.dat file. When management studio overwrites your saved password with an empty string like you describe, you could close management studio and then copy your backup mru.dat file over the more recent one.  This will reset the saved settings of the connection dialog and other "most recently used" items in the UI to their saved values.
    Regards RM Thirunavukkarasu MCP, MCITP http://thiruna.blog.com Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem
    Monday, January 18, 2010 12:56 PM
  • This is you solution ?!

Burn down the entire set of passwords and start over?!?

That is beyond ridiculous. You guys at microsoft might want to start a new Test called "changing your password". It's all the rage in cyberspace nowadays, mostly because of you guys.

Linux never had this nonsense

Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Hello,

I do not have a file called C:\Users\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell\mru.dat

However, I do have C:\Users\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell\VsFontLk.dat

I am unable to access any SQL Server database.

I am also unable to Re-Install SQL Server 2008 or 2010.

Please help,

Sam 

Friday, August 26, 2011 7:23 PM