none
How to load symbols for a remote stored proc

Question

• I have a C# windows service project that I am remote debugging in Visual Studio 2010 professional.  I am running the debugger as domaina\sfought who is an administrator on my local machine.  I can attach to the remote process and debug the C# code without issue.  The database server is not a member of the domain, but can connect to SQL Server on it as dbserver\sfought.  dbserver\sfought is part of the sysadmin role in the database.  The problem arises when I use SQL Server Object Explorer to open a stored proc on the DB server and try to set a breakpoint.  The breakpoint is white with a yellow exclamation point and when I hover over it there's a popup saying 'The breakpoint will not currently be hit.  No symbols have been loaded for this document.'

How can I manually load the symbols for this stored proc so I can debug it when the C# calls it?

Thanks,
    Shane

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:13 PM

Answers

• This is a guess. Since your security credentials do not align, you might want to try to create a database project, so you have the code representation of the SQL objects locally and the tool can build the symbols locally. Then you set the debug database connection string of the project and point it to the remote server. Now the remote database and the project are assoicated and when you do the debug operation from SQL Server Object Explorer we should pull the code from the project.

-GertD @ www.sqlproj.com

Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:33 PM