none
About SQLCE 3.5 sp2 EULA

Question

• Hello

Our commercial desktop application will use sqlce 3.5 sp2 database as local database.
    (*.Sdf- file + dlls needed for using the database are distributed with our application)
    We have purchased Visual Studio Professional.

I found this question about the subject:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlce/thread/fcdd7951-e3bd-4a59-a59e-81169e88d65d

However I would still like to ask:

In EULA there is this clause:
    Distribution Requirements.  For any Distributable Code you distribute, you must require distributors and external end users to agree to terms that protect it at least as much as this agreement.

• Does this mean, that we need to include something in the license agreement of our product ?

Joohan

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Joohan,

SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 is free for redistribution, no additional license is required. One thing you may need to do is accept the license agreement when you launch the installation:

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 17, 2012 2:11 AM
  • Hello

Thank you for the answer. However, I would like to clarify my question:

Our application is deployed by "Private File–Based Deployment" .

Necessary dlls are installed into our applications installation directory.

Referring to the first question:

When sqlce is distributed this way, do we need to include something in the license agreement of our product ?

Joohan

Friday, February 17, 2012 7:57 AM
  • Joohan,

No, not any other license agreement is required.

Stephanie Lv

Friday, February 17, 2012 8:06 AM
  • Hello

Thanks. But still.. (I'm sorry, I just have to clarify this).

In this case:

Our customers are not required to agree the terms of SQLCE 3.5 sp2 EULA.

And  license agreement of our product does not mention anything about SQLCE 3.5 sp2.

Is this OK ?

Joohan

Friday, February 17, 2012 8:27 AM
  • Joohan,

I as far as I know, to install the SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 successfully, you have to accept the terms in license agreement, or you cannot continual the installation, since the Next buttion will not be available any more.

Stephanie Lv

Friday, February 17, 2012 8:39 AM
  • Hello

When our product is deployed by "Private File–Based Deployment", our customers dont't install SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2.

Install package of our application installs necessary dlls into our applications installation directory.

This way our customers don't have to install SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2, because necessary dlls are delivered with our application.

So, this means that we have to include something (sqlce eula?) in the license agreement of our product ?

Joohan

Friday, February 17, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Look at the EULA_ENU.rtf and REDIST_ENU.TXT files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.5

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog

• Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Friday, February 24, 2012 3:22 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 2:15 PM