none
Regression line in chart

Answers

• Hi,

You may add an additional line in the chart. The following link may help:
    How to create a bar graph that has a trend line in a chart in Report Designer

Also, some third party controls have very rich capabilities about the trendline, such as Dundas. Here is the link to Dundas: http://www.dundas.com/Products/Chart/RS/Why/index.aspx

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.

Thanks.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:15 AM

All replies

• In Excel MS allows to add trend lines separately on top of the scatter chart and after you've plotted the scatter chart. But I do not see the option of plotting a trend line in the Properties option of Chart in SSRS 2005. So, I doubt if there is any!!

Friday, February 08, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Hi,

You may add an additional line in the chart. The following link may help:
    How to create a bar graph that has a trend line in a chart in Report Designer

Also, some third party controls have very rich capabilities about the trendline, such as Dundas. Here is the link to Dundas: http://www.dundas.com/Products/Chart/RS/Why/index.aspx

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.

Thanks.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:15 AM
  • Hmmm, not really sure that helps (or works for me).  Let me explain.

It has been my experience that most people, when asking how to plot a trend line are asking if there is a function that will perform the necessary linear regression calculation on the data set that constitutes the bar (single data set) in the bar chart.

What the referenced how to basically does is just 'fudge' a second data set from the data in the same table the bar data is being pulled from (if I understood the example correctly).

I could not see anywhere how the select was doing the necessary math for say a straight line or a polynomial.

(Excel for example does this, however imperfectly the math gurus find the rounding to be, it is at least there.)

I think that is what is being asked - (or to be more precise it is the answer I was looking for when I found this in a search list return against the phrase "trend line" on this forum.)

So I'll ask it more explicitly - I have a chart that is graping in a column form, new orders per day.  A request has been made to add a trend line to this chart.  I do not have the data for this series.  (If I did, I wouldn't need to search for an answer to trend lines).  I already know about how to have a second series of data plotted as a line - what I'm looking for is the answer to this question - "Is there a function in the SSRS charts that can perform the linear regression calculation on a dataset to plot the trend line for that data set?"

I'm thinking the answer is "No" since the How to stresses that you have to provide both data sets.

So, in point of fact, the How to is really a bit misleading don't you think?  What the How to is really about (the SELECT statements notwithstanding) is more along the lines of "How to make one data series in a bar chart plot as a line".

Of course if the select statement is performing the math and I'm just too obtuse to understand it, I stand corrected, it does show how to create the trend line data set... but I think not.

Trend Lines tend to be plot expressions of linear regressions.  For those of us who have not done that kind of math in 30 years or more, the hope is that there is a function to be used.

I suspect there is not.  Am I correct?

Monday, March 24, 2008 5:18 PM
  •  

You are correct, that example simply shows how to plot a line on a bar graph...a bit of a misnomer to call it "trend."

What you are trying to accomplish is not in the box. If possible, it would require a bit of code behind to dynamically render the line.

To get you started, look at these examples:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa964128.aspx

At the bottom of the article you'll find techniques for Pareto line charts and Moving Average on bar charts...both which require some dynamic code calculation.

Monday, March 24, 2008 6:20 PM