none
Report not working from Report server

Question

• I have modified an existing report and repeployed it to out QA report Server. After selecting the required fields for the parameters from drop downs and clicking on view report. We get a loading message then nothing. Our DBA can run the report with no problems No one else can though Is this a possible permission issue?

Thanks!

Thursday, April 04, 2013 6:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• I would say likely. Does the original report (before your modifications) still work? If so, what changes did you make? You must be pulling data from a source where you and others do not have permissions.

But, what do you mean by nothing? It stops running and you have an empty page? The report should return an error if it were permissions.

"You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek." - Blind Seer, O Brother Where Art Thou
    Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others may find the fortune they seek.

Thursday, April 04, 2013 7:25 PM
  • Make sure you're running it in I.E. and not chrome etc.

Or if in chrome make sure you're using the I.E. tab add-in. 

Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:03 PM
  • Only for the DBA. And both work from Bids.
    It gives the loading cursor and stops with the Parameters exposed and no data.
    The Report calls a procedure it is faily complex, and the "report user" has execute permissions on the proc. The proc takes about 5 seconds to run. 
    • Edited by Bulldog61 Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:08 PM
    Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:04 PM
  • So if both the original and modified report behave the same, I would certainly look at permissions. Is this a new server, can others access any of the reports on the server? Has anyone other than the DBA been able to access this report before? Is the DBA running the report directly on the report server?

"You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek." - Blind Seer, O Brother Where Art Thou
    Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others may find the fortune they seek.

Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:08 PM

• If you are using a service account, make sure that the service account credentials are still properly stored in the data source(s) the report uses in the Report Manager.

Is it using a new version of a SPROC? If so, make sure the service account has been granted 'Execute' permission on the SPROC itself. 

Make sure when you're testing, the browser is I.E. You won't see any error messages in Chrome. 

Also it might be worth while to look at the LogFiles on the server itself to look for clues:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS11.CPRO\Reporting Services\LogFiles

• Edited by determinism Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:11 PM
    Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:09 PM
  • Here is the Error in the log

ERROR: Exception caught instantiating TERADATA report server extension: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Teradata.Client.Provider, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=76b417ee2e04956c' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'Teradata.Client.Provider, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=76b417ee2e04956c'

Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:44 PM
  • Here is a thread where a user posted the error you have:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/620fe8a1-fbc5-4539-bf12-c96353d43ef2

See Charlie Liaos response. 

The user replied: 

"

Charlie,

Thanks... It was an error on the dot net part guys... they were using the wrong report server... So once we fixed that everything works fine.. thanks for looking into it though.

Thanks

Karen

"

Also SEE:

http://muhammetatalay.blogspot.com/2013/03/exception-caught-instantiating-teradata.html

Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:56 PM