none
I want to open a .mdb file inside SQL server 2008

Question

• I downloaded SQL server 2008 on my PC
    I opted for Windows Authentication and SQL server Authentication
    my first login was with Windows Authentication
    I tried to upload a database file (.mdb) file with Windows Authentication but I got file error

How do I open .mdb files inside SQL
    Monday, July 27, 2009 9:38 PM

Answers

• Hello Robert

An mdb file is an Access database file - not a SQL Server file.

You can Import the data from the Access database into a new SQL Server database using the Import Data option.

HTH

Ewan

If you have found this post helpful, please click the 'Vote as Helpful' link (the green triangle and number on the top-left).

If this post answers your question, click the 'Mark As Answered' link below. It helps others who experience the same issue in future to find the solution.
    • Marked as answer by robertlamour Friday, July 31, 2009 4:53 PM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:26 AM

All replies

• The error says that there is no editor for the .mdb file
    it says make sure the application for the filetype (.mdb) is installed.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Hello Robert

An mdb file is an Access database file - not a SQL Server file.

You can Import the data from the Access database into a new SQL Server database using the Import Data option.

HTH

Ewan

If you have found this post helpful, please click the 'Vote as Helpful' link (the green triangle and number on the top-left).

If this post answers your question, click the 'Mark As Answered' link below. It helps others who experience the same issue in future to find the solution.
    • Marked as answer by robertlamour Friday, July 31, 2009 4:53 PM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:26 AM
  • Hello Robert,

Also you can access that file using linked server feature of SQL Server.

Cheers!
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:02 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to load an Access database in SQL Server 2008, you could migrate the database from Access to SQL Server 2008. SQL Server Migration Assistant 2008 for Access is a tool for migrating data from Access to SQL Server 2008. Please download the tool from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=133B59C2-C89C-4641-BEBB-6D04476EC1BA&displaylang=en.

If there are any more questions, please let me know.

Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:40 AM
  • I can't get Access to migrate the files to .mdf file extension. I used the migration assistant in Access but I get an error. Is this because SQL server 2008 must be configured to accept Data Migration?

UPsizing Wizard says. ODBC connection to 'SQL Server 2008' failed.
    what am I doing wrong?

Am I suppose to create a new database then insert the .mdb files into the .mdf?

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:02 PM