none
dbcc checkdb unrepairable error

Question

• I ran a DBCC CHECKDB and have an "unrepairable error".   Do I have any options besides restoring to the last good backup?

Msg 7985, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
    System table pre-checks: Object ID 3. Could not read and latch page (1:276) with latch type SH. Check statement terminated due to unrepairable error.
    DBCC results for 'PETETEST'.
    Msg 5233, Level 16, State 106, Line 1
    Table error: alloc unit ID 196608, page (1:276). The test (m_freeCnt == freeCnt) failed. The values are 5600 and 5601.
    CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 1 consistency errors not associated with any single object.
    CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 1 consistency errors in database 'PETETEST'.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:22 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Do you have valid backup with you.PLease restore it with latest valid backup.

If you dont have backup you can try different repair options but its already mentioned its unrepairable .Please read documentation before.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176064.aspx

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Msg 7985, Level 16, State 2, Server SUNART, Line 1
    System table pre-checks: Object ID 4. Could not read and latch page (1:51) with
    latch type SH. Check statement terminated due to unrepairable error.

If any of the pages at the leaf-level of these indexes are corrupt, we cannot repair them. Repairing would mean deallocating the page, wiping out the most important metadata for potentially hundreds of user tables and so effectively deleteing all of these tables. That's obviously an unpalatable repair for anyone to allow and so we don't do it.

Please refer to following link .. Content copied from the same

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlserverstorageengine/archive/2007/02/04/checkdb-part-8-did-repair-fix-everything.aspx

The Only good and preferred option is to restore the valid backup as shanky suggested ! 
    ------------------------

Thanks,Suhas Vallala

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Hello,

As others have already pointed out, checkdb cannot fix everything. That page specifically belongs to sysobjvalues which is a hidden system table. Corruption of that table will have these types of consequences and the only supported way to get the database up and running is through a restore of a backup or scripting the objects and data out of that database and into another one.

If you don't have any sensitive information in the database, I would love to receive a zipped backup of the database to investigate the corruption. My information can be found in the about page of my blog in the signature of this post.

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Do you have valid backup with you.PLease restore it with latest valid backup.

If you dont have backup you can try different repair options but its already mentioned its unrepairable .Please read documentation before.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176064.aspx

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Msg 7985, Level 16, State 2, Server SUNART, Line 1
    System table pre-checks: Object ID 4. Could not read and latch page (1:51) with
    latch type SH. Check statement terminated due to unrepairable error.

If any of the pages at the leaf-level of these indexes are corrupt, we cannot repair them. Repairing would mean deallocating the page, wiping out the most important metadata for potentially hundreds of user tables and so effectively deleteing all of these tables. That's obviously an unpalatable repair for anyone to allow and so we don't do it.

Please refer to following link .. Content copied from the same

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlserverstorageengine/archive/2007/02/04/checkdb-part-8-did-repair-fix-everything.aspx

The Only good and preferred option is to restore the valid backup as shanky suggested ! 
    ------------------------

Thanks,Suhas Vallala

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Hello,

As others have already pointed out, checkdb cannot fix everything. That page specifically belongs to sysobjvalues which is a hidden system table. Corruption of that table will have these types of consequences and the only supported way to get the database up and running is through a restore of a backup or scripting the objects and data out of that database and into another one.

If you don't have any sensitive information in the database, I would love to receive a zipped backup of the database to investigate the corruption. My information can be found in the about page of my blog in the signature of this post.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:15 PM
  • Hello,

Sean I read your blog where you mentioned about requirement of real time corrupt databases :)  

Will be happy to send you if i get one.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:22 PM
  • Thank you Shanky :)

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:31 PM
  • I ran a DBCC CHECKDB and have an "unrepairable error".   Do I have any options besides restoring to the last good backup?

Msg 7985, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
    System table pre-checks: Object ID 3. Could not read and latch page (1:276) with latch type SH. Check statement terminated due to unrepairable error.
    DBCC results for 'PETETEST'.
    Msg 5233, Level 16, State 106, Line 1
    Table error: alloc unit ID 196608, page (1:276). The test (m_freeCnt == freeCnt) failed. The values are 5600 and 5601.
    CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 1 consistency errors not associated with any single object.
    CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 1 consistency errors in database 'PETETEST'.

Hello there is no option as it says it is unrepairable you have to move with the backup only which as last one. so that at least you can recover the data the important here it is please check why this caused is this with Human error or any h/w or s/w issues from the errologs or from the eventlogs

Thanks, Rama Udaya.K (http://rama38udaya.wordpress.com) ---------------------------------------- Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and UN-mark them if they provide no help,Vote if they gives you information.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:13 PM