none
fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined symbols found

Question

• I have defined a C++ project containing header and source files for the following files:

matrix. h
    matrix. cpp

quaternion. h
    quaternion. cpp

rowvector. h
    rowvector. cpp

vector. h
    vector. cpp

In each of these classes I have defined a function called Norm. But when I compile I get:

1>matrix.obj : error LNK2005: "double __cdecl Norm(double const &,unsigned int)" (?Norm@@YANABNI@Z) already defined in columnvector.obj

1>quaternion.obj : error LNK2005: "double __cdecl Norm(double const &,unsigned int)" (?Norm@@YANABNI@Z) already defined in columnvector.obj

1>rowvector.obj : error LNK2005: "double __cdecl Norm(double const &,unsigned int)" (?Norm@@YANABNI@Z) already defined in columnvector.obj

1>vector.obj : error LNK2005: "double __cdecl Norm(double const &,unsigned int)" (?Norm@@YANABNI@Z) already defined in columnvector.obj

1>C:\Documents and Settings\bob\Skrivebord\test\bob\Debug\bob.exe : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined symbols found

I know that it compiles fine on Linux, but is there some rules on windows that you cannot have different classes with the same name for a function?

Friday, August 01, 2008 9:28 PM

Answers

• There is no such limitation.  I guess in your cpp file, you didn't put the classname in front of the function Norm.

Like:  double RowVector::Norm(double, unsigned int )   NOT  double Norm(double, unsigned int ) .

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, August 02, 2008 12:17 AM

All replies

• There is no such limitation.  I guess in your cpp file, you didn't put the classname in front of the function Norm.

Like:  double RowVector::Norm(double, unsigned int )   NOT  double Norm(double, unsigned int ) .

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, August 02, 2008 12:17 AM
  • According to your question i think you are getting error due to circulr refrence only. This you can understand you are calling a File A .h in b.h and then again b.h inside A.h .Just have a look inside your code .Hopefully u will get your ans

Thanx

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity
    Saturday, August 02, 2008 9:22 AM