none
Not able to install SqlServer 2008 says Restart computer failed

Question

• While trying to install SqlServer2008 it show Restart computer as failed. I have restarted my computer and still it shows the same error. Cant proceed further. Please advice on how to proceed to install SqlServer 2008.

Thanks

Ashok

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:49 PM

Answers

• Check your system's pending file rename operations registry key. It should be cleared after you reboot your system. If not, something must be wrong.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:19 PM
  • I am running Vista SP1 with Visual Studio 2008 SP1, and .NET 3.5 SP1 having the same problem many have had. I like many others do not have a KEY registry entry for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

What many seem to think (as I did) that there is a KEY value of PendingFileRenameOperations.  There is no KEY by that name.  There is however a Value Pair named "PendingFileRenameOperations" under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Navigate to the above registry location and then look in the right side pane for the value pair.  Rename it or delete the value found there.

In my case I have a Logitech CAM device that incorrectly completes its install without deleting the value pair.

After correcting the registry my install completed as expected.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:31 PM
  • setup.exe /SkipRules=RebootRequiredCheck /ACTION=install

Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:43 PM

Your a star - worked a treat! Just got me out of a sticky situation!! Thanks very much :)
    Friday, May 18, 2012 8:53 AM
  • I will say if you are getting stuck now, the best way is to uninstall everything.

And then,

Install SQL Server 2008 first since you want SQL Server 2008.

Install VS 2008 +SP1 second.

Since SQL Server 2008 is not released, installing SQL Server 2008 first is the easiest thing.

Thursday, August 07, 2008 8:39 PM

All replies

• You can uninstall SQL Server 2008 first.

Try to use this link for your reference.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144259(SQL.100).aspx

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:30 AM
  • Does symantec installed on your machine? dose the machine infected with  KAVO virus?

Madhu

SQL Server Blog

SQL Server 2008 Blog

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:13 AM
  • Symantec Antivirus is installed in my system. But no known virus infection

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:20 PM
  • Check your system's pending file rename operations registry key. It should be cleared after you reboot your system. If not, something must be wrong.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:19 PM
  • I have the same issue - i've checked the pending file operations, and there are none.

Also, the Link in the Setup (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=94001) leads to a Firewall configuration page that does not explain what the rule evaluates exactly.
    Thursday, August 07, 2008 9:37 AM
  • I am stuck at 'Previous release of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008' and the detail show that VS 2008 SP1 is missing, installed it and still can't proceed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thursday, August 07, 2008 1:46 PM
  •  BMWAustin wrote:

I am stuck at 'Previous release of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008' and the detail show that VS 2008 SP1 is missing, installed it and still can't proceed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You'd want to install just the basic (i.e. db engine only).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956139

Thursday, August 07, 2008 5:22 PM
  • I will say if you are getting stuck now, the best way is to uninstall everything.

And then,

Install SQL Server 2008 first since you want SQL Server 2008.

Install VS 2008 +SP1 second.

Since SQL Server 2008 is not released, installing SQL Server 2008 first is the easiest thing.

Thursday, August 07, 2008 8:39 PM
  • I have the same issue, but I've also found the culprit.  After installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, Windows Update attempted to install a Hotfix KB953595. It is listed as installation was Successful, but it cannot be removed through Control Panel, and when I look for the installation package in \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads, there is no package for this Hotfix, so I can't figure out how to force it's uninstall.

There is also nothing listed as pending under

so I am at a loss as to how to uninstall a Hotfix that isn't there.

Nor have I been able to find the hotfix & download it & re-install it.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 9:36 PM
  • Did you click "show updates" in ARP? If you install  Hotfix KB953595, it should show up in your ARP. Smile

Friday, September 05, 2008 2:50 AM
  • Thanks for the response Ray.  Yes it does show up, but with the Uninstall button disabled.  The uninstall button is enabled for all of the other Updates.  So, I went looking for the installation package in \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads, but there is no package for this Hotfix, which I'm sure is why the Uninstall button is disabled, so I can't figure out how to force it's uninstall.  

-Scott
    Friday, September 05, 2008 12:53 PM
  • OK, here's the resolution I came up with.  I gave up on uninstalling the Hotfix, and just uninstalled the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 which also removed the Hotfix.  I then re-installed the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 without the Hotfix and went on to successfully finish the SQL Server 2008 installation.

Friday, September 05, 2008 6:51 PM
  • That's so great to hear that.

Saturday, September 06, 2008 4:39 AM
  • Hey, I've been suffering the same issue. I uninstalled .NET 3.5 SP1 and it did remove the hotfix, however when I reinstall SP1 it also automatically reinstalls the hotfix which doesn't get me anywhere. SQL 2008 fails to install unless you have SP1 installed, so this appears to be a no win situation. How did you install SP1 without the hotfix?

Thanks, Ed

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:29 PM
  • I have been struggling with this today, too. I have a new machine with Vista Home Premium. I get through all prereqs for SQL Server 2008 except the Restart Computer has failed on it and I can't install SQL Server 2008. However. I have restarted and still get it.

I have uninstalled .NET 3.5 SP1, reinstalled it, installed Visual Studio 2008, but still get the Restart computer failed. I don't see how to uninstall the Hotfix as there is no option in add/remove programs.

Monday, September 22, 2008 9:08 PM
  • I was able to get around this problem by running the .exe for the installer which unpacked everything into a GUID-named folder on c:\  (which is a pretty bad idea for them to do, imho, instead of %temp% or something). I had to do this because letting the installer complete normally it would delete the folder. Once the installer window came up, I forcefully terminated the installer which left the folder intact. Then I opened a command line and ran setup manually (which is in the root of this folder), using the additional arguments mentioned earlier in the thread for skipping the forcereboot check. I don't recall the exact parameters but I had to add something like "Action=Install" to the command line before it would work. Once the installer GUI came up, it allowed me to install despite it saying that it still needed a reboot.

By the way, this was a really unpleasant experience that wasted several hours for me - and apparently at least a few other people - for something that *really* should have just been a warning for the installer especially since there is no indication of what, specifically, is triggering the installer to believe a reboot is required.

Also, if the package EXE had an option to just "unpack & install manually" that would have also been helpful because it was a bit of a chore just figuring out where the setup.exe was actually coming from.

Regards,

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:48 AM
  • can you please tell us what parameters you used that allowed you to forcefully bypass the computer reboot check. 

I've tried all other ways but nothing seems to work.
    • Proposed as answer by LookItsGreg Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:42 PM
    Tuesday, October 07, 2008 1:04 AM
  •  

Clearing the value in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations and without restart the computer, I was able to install SQL Server 2008.  This issue really bugged me.
    Wednesday, October 08, 2008 3:45 PM
  • Sorry for the delay, Ed.  It must be something in the way you are doing the re-install.  I had downloaded and saved locally the .NET 3.5 SP1 package first before re-installing it, and was not forced to also install the hotfix.  Hopefully by now you've resolved the issue.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

-Scott

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 5:13 PM
  •  

This worked for me.  Was an HP server and some piece of HP software was listed here.  Once I deleted it the install went through.
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 2:00 PM
  • This trick worked for me too.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:04 PM
  • What is the parameter to skip the forceboot check in the command line install.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 4:05 AM
  • Updating the registry helped me.  Thanks

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:26 PM
  • Removing the  PendingFileRenameOperations value, as mentioned here worked for me.

I've been bugged with this for days, and now finaly could proceed the installation.
    I'm running Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition x64, with VS2008 and all/most updates (SP1 ++)...

Thanks!
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:56 AM
  • I just cleared the Pending File Operations key and it worked.

Thanks to Everybody.

Friday, November 14, 2008 3:23 AM
  • Searching for the string PendingFileRenameOperations and removing everything

containing this helped me to solve the problem and uninstall this SQL server. Which I never use and don't know what it is. I just wanted a simple C comiler (for noobs) and installed bloated MS Visual express something. It unistalled ok, but left me with this junk.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 1:29 PM
  • \??\D:\TEMP\logishrd\LVPrcInj01.dll
    \??\D:\TEMP\logishrd\
    \??\D:\TEMP\logishrd\LVPrcInj02.dll
    \??\D:\TEMP\logishrd\

Above was mentioned in PendingFileRenameOperations in my system. ____ logitech software, or ____ windows update system...

didn't even have to restart sql server setup, could just re-run the tests! Thanks all that replied.

• Proposed as answer by norsivad Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:45 PM
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 8:15 PM
  •  
    Thank you Amy, Clearing the value in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations defionetly works. You may remember we had the same issue with SQL 2005 and I think with SQL2K ....

-Ivan
    Ivan Sanders http://linkedin.com/in/iasanders http://dimension-si.com/blog
    Friday, December 26, 2008 8:02 PM
  • I am running Vista SP1 with Visual Studio 2008 SP1, and .NET 3.5 SP1 having the same problem many have had. I like many others do not have a KEY registry entry for:

What many seem to think (as I did) that there is a KEY value of PendingFileRenameOperations.  There is no KEY by that name.  There is however a Value Pair named "PendingFileRenameOperations" under:

Navigate to the above registry location and then look in the right side pane for the value pair.  Rename it or delete the value found there.

In my case I have a Logitech CAM device that incorrectly completes its install without deleting the value pair.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:31 PM
  • Larry is right. Thats how i found the registry entry. I deleted the gargabe in there and was able to get through that hurdle just to run into more problems. An hour later i finally was able to install the Tool Pack ( which is all i wanted ). This is the worst installer i have seen in a long time. It took 4 hours and a ton of frustration to finally get access to the Management studio.
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 9:36 PM
  • Larry's answer fixed it for me to, on Vista Business 32bit SP1.  Just deleted the values and reran the test...
    Friday, March 06, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Thank you for this solid information.  I have worked on this for some time and this worked out very well, once I deleted the value identified above and reinstalled, it worked well.

Thanks for the help.

CHS
    Friday, March 13, 2009 4:00 PM
  • One other thing I found, but didn't see posted here was the following:

http://scottonwriting.net/sowblog/posts/13456.aspx

Basically, the Express Editions don't get updated with VS SP1, and will cause the SQL install to fail.  Uninstalling the Express Editions, installing SQL, then reinstalling the express editions (now with SP1) worked for me.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:15 PM
  • The same issue arose when I tried to UNINSTALL SQL2008 - restart computer: failed.

I cleared my PendingFileRenameOperation keys, and the uninstall worked (Vista business)

(reason for uninstall - because Windows 7 RC won't install with SQL there!)

developer
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:52 AM
  • i couldn't find the registry in an explorer window... so i used ccleaner and that works fine.

nvm. im such a noob. you guys should EXPLAIN how to get there. ...nobody... okay i will.
    open a command prompt as administrator. type in regedit.exe
    then go to the directory specified above.
    your welcome my fellow noobs.
    • Edited by mungodude Sunday, June 07, 2009 10:36 PM clarification of previous posts
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 10:24 PM
  • Thanks Amy!!   Your solution worked.  I simply deleted the values in the PendingFileRenameOperation option, and I got the install to finally work!  Only wasted 2 hours trying to resolve this issue :).  Glad I found this thread.

Jason
    http://www.stocknod.com
    • Proposed as answer by mrcookies Wednesday, August 05, 2009 9:14 PM
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 3:11 PM
  • That was the magic.  I hit my head against this for just a tools install for 2 hours.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 9:17 PM
  • Thanks, that helped me as well.  Unfortunately I wasn't as lucky as the others, I spent days working on it.  Freakin' ____
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:06 PM
  • I have the same problem on my XP and VISTA computer.  Have you solved this problem?  I'd like to know how to do it too.
    Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 11:44 PM
  • Clearing the value here worked for me on Vista

Monday, October 26, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Here is what I did on my client machine. ( I was able to install VB Studio '08 and SQL Srvr. '08 on Windows 2003 Ent/w no issues).
    But, on my XP client machine, I got the same error that the a restart failed.

I went to my registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CONTROL\SESSION MANAGER\

Looked for the filerename issue. Checked to ensure it was not a file that can cause me problems later on, and deleted this key. Again!
    Make sure it is not a file that can cause you problems. How do you know it won't cause you problems once you delete the failed registry key?
    Ensur you know which file it is that the install was trying to rename and if need be rename it yourself by: right clicking on the key itself and select "Modify". I delete it mine and rerun the install, everything works well and I see no errors in my Application log; system or WPS.

All the best! Good luck!
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 5:50 PM

• I am installing SQL Server 2008 AND SQL Server 2008 R2 on a Windows 2008 server, and I am getting the above issue even after rebooting. This issue is happening with both SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2.  The registry fix doesnt apply because that key doesnt exist at all (There is no CONTROL node in my registry) .  I had to install Visual Studio 2008 + SP1 first because the install will fail because I am missing VS 2008 SP1. 

All of the above work arounds do not work.

- Registry Node doesnt even exist,

- This is frist time i have EVER had this problem installing SQL 2008

- Have Rebooted 5 times

Any other ideas? 

Rex Whitten
    Monday, November 30, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Rex,
    Please check my post above (Dec 31, 2008) and verify your registry path. It took me several times to realize that I was in the wrong place.

Depending on the tools you are requesting installed you may not need VS 2008. You will need .NET 3.5 sp1.  VS 2008 sp1 install .NET 3.5 sp1.

If you could post your exact error message that would be helpful.

Larry
    • Proposed as answer by nickplalangan Monday, May 03, 2010 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 12:57 AM
  • Thank you James this recommendation. I have cleared the value of this key after backing it up in case. I am able to uninstall SQL server 2008. 

Shane
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Just delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations"
    Monday, December 07, 2009 3:03 AM
  • The exact error in the Installation of SQL 2008 and SQL 2008 R2 is on the Setup Support Rules step of the SQL install, where it lists installation rules. The rule that repeatedly shows up red is:

"Restart Computer"

Again, none of the registry values could be found, andf trying to break up these values and navigating to them manually turned up none of the keys specified. I even did a search in the registry for : PendingFileRenameOperations, which returned nothing.

Rex Whitten
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Cleaning up the key mentioned in your response did the trick for me. Thank you.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Rex,
    I see that you have been diligent in searching for the restart source.  This week while trying to install on Server 2008 R2 with SQL 2008 R2 I had a similar issue.

The solution in this case was to completely uninstall the prior version of SQL Server then do a cold boot.  Then before doing anything else I went to the registry location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\CONTROL\SESSION MANAGER\

Then I found the entry.

Someone has posted an invalid registry path above.

Larry
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:18 PM
  • Your posted registry path is incorrect.

This is the correct path.

The PendingFileRenameOperation value is in the right side of your screen.

Larry
    • Proposed as answer by wadelli Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:11 PM
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:20 PM
  • Here is what I did on my client machine. ( I was able to install VB Studio '08 and SQL Srvr. '08 on Windows 2003 Ent/w no issues).
    But, on my XP client machine, I got the same error that the a restart failed.

I went to my registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CONTROL\SESSION MANAGER\

Looked for the filerename issue. Checked to ensure it was not a file that can cause me problems later on, and deleted this key. Again!
    Make sure it is not a file that can cause you problems. How do you know it won't cause you problems once you delete the failed registry key?
    Ensur you know which file it is that the install was trying to rename and if need be rename it yourself by: right clicking on the key itself and select "Modify". I delete it mine and rerun the install, everything works well and I see no errors in my Application log; system or WPS.

All the best! Good luck!

Gonzarelli,
    I should have quoted you in my previous response... Sorry.
    Your posted registry path is incorrect.

This is the correct path.

The PendingFileRenameOperation value is in the right side of your screen.

Larry
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:27 PM
  • Thank you! worked great!

Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:47 AM

Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:43 PM
  • I am running WINDOWS SERVER 2008 R2  and you solution worked for me.

ThanX
    Its a Dog Eat Dog World
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Thanks LookItsGreg.

Installing from command prompt is always more powerful than from the GUI.  

You installation command worked for me.

andy
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:14 PM
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

Excelent! Thank you J Larry,

Your answer was very informative. I had difficulty with a logitech camera a long time ago... And that install problem is just rearing it's ugly head while trying to install the visual management studio. I deleted the KEY value that refrenced a logi install. And all is well.

Again thank you for sharing your solution.

- jeffa

Saturday, January 30, 2010 11:30 PM
  • THIS WORKED! Uninstalled my figgin' Logitech Webcam and BAMMO! Worked! Thanks!!!
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Jan's fix along with other comments worked for me. It was a Logitech web cam that had me hosed.
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:45 PM
  • THIS WORKED! Uninstalled my figgin' Logitech Webcam and BAMMO! Worked! Thanks!!!

there is no need to uninstall their software
    just clear the 

key as mentioned before.
    mine also had some logitech cleanup values in there(apparently logitech's setup doesn't clean them after install...)
    but this one could also be microsoft's fault since i updated logitech through windows update...AND restarted my machine.

Monday, February 15, 2010 2:16 PM
  • There may be more PendingFileRenameOperations entries under trees like ControlSet001.

Open regedit, position at root of registry, control-F to open Find, and search for all instances of PendingFileRenameOperations.

For any entries where the registry location doesn't end in BackupRestore\KeysNotToRestore, delete the value stored in the registry entry.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:54 PM

I just cleared that key and it was gravy from then on!
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:06 PM
  • As a noob, when you are all referring to clearing the key, with the PendingFileRenameOperations listed in the Name column, are you highlighting it and deleting it? Or are you selecting modify and then deleting the value?
    Monday, March 29, 2010 7:40 PM
  • Hi Guys,

came upon this thread by accident, had this problem a while back

some hints,

search the registry for pendingfilerenameoperations (pendingfilerename operations are not always msupdates )

i found that i had  logitech programs pending in controlset001 (naughty logitech-please deletey key after installation)

if there is any pending data there ( 3 or 4 files for me) then clear that.

cheery

Friday, April 02, 2010 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

Greately worked for me too .

but carefull before deleteing, take a backup of that PendingFileRenameOperations

1) PendingFileRenameOperations -> single click on it ->go to file menu->select export ->give path and name-> click on save.

2) PendingFileRenameOperations -> right click ->delete-> re run sql server install/uninstall.

Thank you

guru

Sunday, April 25, 2010 6:59 PM
  • Thanks! I was also missing the key, but found the value pair, deleted it, and then it worked. Indeed it was left there by a Logitec cam install.

Catherine

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:30 PM
  • Hello,

I would like to achieve the opposite behaviour. Could you provide valid values for PendingFileRenameOperations registry key? For the testing purposes of my installation package I would like to check the scenario when there is a pending reboot. I tried

key:PendingFileRenameOperations

value: \??\C:\temp.txt

and many different combination but everytime i run System Configuration Checker rule it is passed (no restart required)

OS; XP SP3

SQL: SQL Server 2008 Express R2

asd
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 8:33 AM
  • Thanks everyone on this thread especially Larry - bang on the money
    and Catherine - yes, looks like logitech was the culprit here too.
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Thanks Larry,

i was looking for that PendingFileRenameOperation value for almost hours

Regards

Peter

Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Thanks for this good infos. I needed that. I know some sites about Broker. Infos you can get on Broker-Vergleich . Its an objective compare of Broker.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 7:08 AM
  • Hello,

I would like to achieve the opposite behaviour. Could you provide valid values for PendingFileRenameOperations registry key? For the testing purposes of my installation package I would like to check the scenario when there is a pending reboot. I tried

key:PendingFileRenameOperations

value: \??\C:\temp.txt

and many different combination but everytime i run System Configuration Checker rule it is passed (no restart required)

OS; XP SP3

SQL: SQL Server 2008 Express R2

asd

It has to refer to a file that is locked. Find one in use that is never released by the operating system and put that in there.
    • Proposed as answer by phil,bischof Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:13 AM
    Friday, August 06, 2010 5:49 PM
  • The method that works is to delete ALL registry key values for the PendingFileRenameOperations, like make sure you do a full search for ALL the keys, then do NOT restart, just run SETUP and it works

If you restart, usually the items that you just deleted from the key values returns because they are temporary files used by web cams, wireless mice, etc.

-Phil

• Proposed as answer by phil,bischof Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:15 AM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:15 AM
  • Clearing out the entries in:

The PendingFileRenameOperation

Worked for me too!

I smell a KB article coming....maybe...hopefully...

David Baur
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:24 PM
  • The real issue here is that the #*@ developers at Logitech decided it was OKAY to place an active-and-consistently-used DLL in your temp folder .. be it C:\windows\temp  or  c:\temp  or   whatever value is in the environment variable  %TEMP%

Monday, August 30, 2010 2:22 AM
  • The real issue here is that the #*@ developers at Logitech decided it was OKAY to place an active-and-consistently-used DLL in your temp folder .. be it C:\windows\temp  or  c:\temp  or   whatever value is in the environment variable  %TEMP%

Monday, August 30, 2010 2:22 AM

Monday, August 30, 2010 2:23 AM

Monday, August 30, 2010 2:24 AM
  • Steven, actually .. it's best to leave those alone, as they are "archives" only.

Moreover, be sure NOT to delete or clear the BackupRestore\KeysNotToRestore registry setting .. it's part of the normal system operation and unrelated to this issue altogether.

Monday, August 30, 2010 2:26 AM
  • Thanks dear after following your steps its working perfectly.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 6:50 AM
  • It had some value. I edited registry and deleted the key. It solved my installation problem.

Khuzaima Shajapurwala

Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:13 PM
  • i've seen numerous instances where the "pending reboot" issue is caused by things like gpo-deployed network printers that require enabling the plug-n-play enumerator service prior to initializing the print spool.  in these cases, you can fix the source of the problem by enabling the PNP-X IP Bus Enumerator Service for SSDP / WS discovery protocols.

Deleting the key works, too, but I thought I'd mention this since you might see the issue return after your next reboot.

heuristik
    Friday, August 12, 2011 5:02 AM
  • Thanks LookItsGreg. I did the installation from the command prompt with the parameters you provided and it worked perfectly.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:53 PM
  • THANK YOU Larry! Worked for me.

Nick

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:52 PM
  • It works for me..Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:42 PM
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

i don't found this path.in which directory? please mention brifely.

Friday, February 17, 2012 3:20 PM

Your a star - worked a treat! Just got me out of a sticky situation!! Thanks very much :)
    Friday, May 18, 2012 8:53 AM
  • /SkipRules=VSShellInstalledRule RebootRequiredCheck

Rick

Friday, June 15, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Mine has a default file. Is that right?

Saturday, June 23, 2012 2:12 AM
  • Thanks James and Larry for the help.

I also figured out that everytime I restarted the machine, the garbage value appeared for PendingFileRenameOperations. The issue was with a Logitech program (for my webcam) installed on my machine. I uninstalled the software, restarted the machine (important) and rerun the setup. It worked great.

This link is also very useful: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bethmassi/archive/2011/02/18/step-by-step-installing-sql-server-management-studio-2008-express-after-visual-studio-2010.aspx

Thanks, Sandy

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:07 PM
  • What is the exact value registration or should I remove?

records that I appear are: 1) Default 2) BootExecute 3) CriticalSection timeout 3) excludefromknowDlls 4) GlobalFlag etc ...

Should I delete them all? Or where exactly?

Please tell me as it is to work in a college project

I use win 8....
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Hello Sir,

When I Refer HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\ Path in My System their is no PendingFileRenameOperation , but FileRenameOperation Folder is their inside it nothing is there except 'default'.

Please help me to short out this problem i can't install sql server 2008 Sp1 on my Windows 7 (32-bit).  

Monday, May 19, 2014 2:30 PM