none
Setting BackgroundColor of Report elements in SSRS

Question

•  

Has anyone seen the error:

[rsInvalidColor] The value of the BackgroundColor property for the textbox ‘textbox14’ is “Transparent”, which is not a valid BackgroundColor.

This is appearing when I set the BackgroundColor property in a SSRS report using an expression. What I'm trying to do is have the colour of the text and background returned by the stored procedure that returns the data for use in Matrix and Table. But the problem seems to relate to all controls in SSRS 2005.

Steps to reproduce are create a new report, add a TextBox.

Go to properties of the textbox and select the Backgroundcolor and select Expression...

Then add the expression:

="Transparent"

Transparent doesn't seem to be a constant, but does appear to be a value you are allowed to selected (and is the default) from the drop down in the background colour.

The work-around is to use White, which works if you don't use a background image or change the background colour of the page.

However if you do us the "Transaparent" colour, then it does return the correct effect, but generates an error in the Output window within the development environment. I'm just ignoring the error for the time being. but has anyone else seen this error.

Andy

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Just in case you haven't found an answer.

Instead of putting ="Transparent" put =Nothing

I use it in most of my expressions when changing backgroundcolor, it doesn't issue warnings and you can change the backgroundcolor of the report and it will be transparent.

Hope this helps,

Lilja

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Hi Andy,

I tried the same way as you told like i wrote in the expression of back ground color of a text box as

="Transparent"

And its working fine for me without giving any error, what i am thinking just check the expression you wrote ,did you miss any "" or "=" .

Anyway let me know if you get the solution.

Thanks

Mahasweta

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Andy,

I tried the same way as you told like i wrote in the expression of back ground color of a text box as

="Transparent"

And its working fine for me without giving any error, what i am thinking just check the expression you wrote ,did you miss any "" or "=" .

Anyway let me know if you get the solution.

Thanks

Mahasweta

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:46 AM
  • Hi,

Just in case you haven't found an answer.

Instead of putting ="Transparent" put =Nothing

I use it in most of my expressions when changing backgroundcolor, it doesn't issue warnings and you can change the backgroundcolor of the report and it will be transparent.

Hope this helps,

Lilja

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Hello

I have the same problem since a few days on my Windwos 7(Before it worked fine on Windows XP expect for some report)

I have a table, an each row of the table has following coke (the same that you can find on gotreportviewer)

=iif(RowNumber(Nothing) Mod 2, "#EFF2F4", "Transparent")

I have allways the message now.
    Monday, June 08, 2009 7:47 AM
  • Instead of Trnasparent I use "#FFFFFF" and then I have no problems
    Monday, June 08, 2009 8:12 AM
  • =Nothing
    works great.  Thank you!
    Sunday, September 06, 2009 5:10 AM