none
SSRS Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

Question

• It seems in the last week something has changed on all my customers that are running SSRS and I am no getting this error in various reports when changing interactive parameters, these reports have been working for years, so I’m assuming there was a Microsoft update of some sort, has anyone else ran into this.

Thanks in Advance

Friday, January 13, 2012 6:01 PM

All replies

• Same issue here. No idea what's wrong.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 10:01 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Fabian Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:22 PM
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:01 AM
  • On our systems, I found it to be related to KB2656355 (Server 2008 R2).   This was included in a security update we found when patching our SQL servers.  Removing this specific update brought our reports back to full functionality.  The other update (KB2656351) did not need to be removed.   By the looks of things, there was an update to System.Web.dll that isn't playing too nice with reports using LARGE parameter sets.

More info can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms11-100

Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:25 AM
  • Thanks guys.
    • Proposed as answer by hxxx0020 Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:22 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Here is a suggested solution I found on another post. It works well on mine.

You don't have to uninstall the patch; the default value of MaxHttpCollectionKeys is set to 1000 by the security patch. You can override the value by adding the following key to the appsetttings section in your SSRS report manager web.config file (usually in Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportManager)

<add key="aspnet:MaxHttpCollectionKeys" value="10000" />

10000 is just a suggestion, you can set it to the value of your liking.

We did this change and the reports worked for us.

Regards,

Sri

• Proposed as answer by Nishant Pathak Monday, January 30, 2012 10:22 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:24 PM
  • This worked for me as well.  Thanks for providing the path to the Web.Config as well.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:22 PM
  • This fix doesn't work for us (Reportserver 2008 in Sharepoint 2007 integrated mode).. Is there a solution for this problem besides uninstalling the security upgrade?
    Friday, January 20, 2012 8:50 AM
  • The solution for Reportserver 2008 in Sharepoint 2007 integrated mode is relatively simple. I changed the web.config in the Reportserver folder. Since Reportserver is running in integrated mode I have changed the wrong web.config. You should change the web.config file from SharePoint. Fix:

Change the web.config on the Sharepoint web application (example path: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\)

Thanks to Sri!

Friday, January 20, 2012 10:30 AM
  • This worked for me as well on sql2008sp3.  I didn't have this issue on my ssrs sql2008r2 instance.

Thanks!
    Vince

Sunday, January 29, 2012 5:50 PM
  • I was having same proble. this has cleared it up. thanks
    Monday, January 30, 2012 10:23 AM
  • I have the same issue.  We changed the web.config file in both the report server and reportmanager directories and I am still getting the error.  Do the servers have to be restarted to make this change be affected?  this is the error message in the web logs.  Please help!  We are on 2005

-------Details--------
    System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

at System.Web.HttpRequest.FillInFormCollection()

at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form()

at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_HasForm()

at System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod(Boolean dontReturnNull)

at System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    w3wp!ui!1a!2/1/2012-12:03:20:: e ERROR: Exception in ShowErrorPage: System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
       at System.Threading.Thread.AbortInternal()
       at System.Threading.Thread.Abort(Object stateInfo)
       at System.Web.HttpResponse.End()
       at System.Web.HttpServerUtility.Transfer(String path, Boolean preserveForm)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.UI.ReportingPage.ShowErrorPage(String errMsg) at    at System.Threading.Thread.AbortInternal()
       at System.Threading.Thread.Abort(Object stateInfo)
       at System.Web.HttpResponse.End()
       at System.Web.HttpServerUtility.Transfer(String path, Boolean preserveForm)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.UI.ReportingPage.ShowErrorPage(String errMsg)
    w3wp!ui!15!2/1/2012-12:30:09:: Unhandled exception: Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportServerException: Execution 'sbye3s45t0quji55qlqvaga0' cannot be found (rsExecutionNotFound)
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.GetExecutionInfo()
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.SetExecutionId(String executionId, Boolean fullReportLoad)
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.LoadFromUrlQuery(NameValueCollection requestParameters, Boolean fullReportLoad)
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportDataOperation..ctor()
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler.GetHandler(String operationType)
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
    w3wp!ui!15!2/1/2012-12:31:16:: e ERROR: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.
    w3wp!ui!15!2/1/2012-12:31:16:: e ERROR: HTTP status code --> 500

• Edited by MichelleBram Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Bram,  Any luck ??? I am also facing the same problem.... above fix  (adding a extra tag into WEb.config file)didn't work for me...

Thursday, February 09, 2012 5:08 AM
  • Ok Guys.. I am able to resolve my issue...
    This solutions is for those people whose "adding tag into config file" is not working.
    I have just change the "Appsetting" tag position into report manager web.confgi file.
    Pervious Location of appsetting tag in web.confgi file.

<httpmodule>
    </system.web>
    <appsettings>----- Key 
    </appsettings>

Now i change the location of <appsettings> tag into web.config file (shift above in file)
    <system.net> 

</system.net>
    <appsettings>---- Add extra ket of mxxhttp..along with default keys
    </appsettings>
    <system.web>

It resolves my issue not sure it works for any one else...

Try u r luck... :)

Thanks... Saurabh

• Proposed as answer by sbhandari Thursday, February 09, 2012 6:30 AM
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Ok Guys.. I am able to resolve my issue...
    This solutions is for those people whose "adding tag into config file" is not working.
    I have just change the "Appsetting" tag position into report manager web.confgi file.
    Pervious Location of appsetting tag in web.confgi file.

<httpmodule>
    </system.web>
    <appsettings>----- Key 
    </appsettings>

Now i change the location of <appsettings> tag into web.config file (shift above in file)
    <system.net> 

</system.net>
    <appsettings>---- Add extra ket of mxxhttp..along with default keys
    </appsettings>
    <system.web>

It resolves my issue not sure it works for any one else...

Try u r luck... :)

Thanks... Saurabh

This isn't very descriptive of exactly where you moved the appsettings to?

I tried doing what I think you meant, but RS will not work after doing so?  Could you paste in you web.config file?

Thursday, February 09, 2012 11:07 PM
  • This worked for me as well.  Thanks for the solution.

Regards,

JohnD

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:42 PM
  • This solution worked for our server too. We are using SQL Server 2005 (SSRS ) with Win 2003 server. with the recent MS Update with KB2656358 , the similar issue has started. 

However adding above suggestion to the Web.config file. the issue could be resloved. 

Thank you for the great assistance

Suman, 

Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:40 AM
  • Thanks for this solution. It worked for me as well.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Thank you kind sir. Worked perfect on Server 2003, SQL 2005 Reporting Services. I had crap-loads of parameters and values (required for business). I really wish Microsoft would test new patches a little better. Lately they've been a little more sloppy.
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Hi All,

I had the Same Issue. We have 3 reporting server and out of 3 one was throwing error "Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object". I have gone through above post and found that "Web.Config" at path "D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Reporting Services\ReportManager" had different setting compare to other 2 servers.

I just changed the <add key="aspnet:MaxHttpCollectionKeys" value="10000" /> to <add key="aspnet:MaxHttpCollectionKeys" value="20000" /> and Then It was working fine.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/cb6ede72-6ed1-4379-9d3c-847c11b75b32/report-manager-operation-cannot-run-due-to-current-state-of-the-object?forum=sqlreportingservices

Thanks Shiven:) If Answer is Helpful, Please Vote

Monday, November 11, 2013 5:20 AM
  • Hello Nishant,

The following settings in report manager config file worked for me. First i set the same in report server config file. That did not work for me. Then i tried the same in report manager config file. This worked for me.

<add key="aspnet:MaxHttpCollectionKeys" value="10000" />

Thank you...

Naushad. C. K

Monday, December 30, 2013 4:17 AM