none
Is the bug 50002514 has been fixed in SQL Server 2008 R2?

Question

• We are planning a migration from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 R2, but it seems that the Bug #: 50002514 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949687/en-us) was not fixed in 2008 R2.

My test configuration:

- Windows 2008 R2 Server, Standard 64 bit (7600)

- Sql 2008 R2 Server Developer Edition 32 bit (10.50.1600.1), two instances (A and B) installed and linked ( A->B and A<-B).

Our software reports an error from SQL Server 2008 R2: "(3970) This operation conflicts with another pending operation on this transaction. The operation failed." On another test system with the same software using SQL Server 2005 SP3 (32-Bit)/Windows Server 2008 R2 everything works just fine.

Is anything wrong with my configuration (64/32-bits mixup) or this problem is related to SQL Server 2008 R2 itself and therefore it can be fixed sooner or later?

Thanks

• Moved by Tom PhillipsModerator Friday, October 29, 2010 1:55 PM Possibly better answer from TSQL forum (From:SQL Server Database Engine)
    Friday, October 22, 2010 1:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Generally all the fixes are automatically rolled over to the latest builds. Let me check on this one.

Are you using MARS on any of the servers? Also can you share the types of commands that you fire. I understand that you have interleaving of DML/DDL... Can you confirm that.

Thanks - Vijay Sirohi
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for your response Vijay,

as far as I know, we do not use MARS on the server. I will ask our SQL-developers about any additional details related to DML/DDL, but it can take some time.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a simple SQL-script on the Microsoft site which can be used to check a presence of the bug #: 50002514 in our system. Did I miss it somewhere?

Thursday, October 28, 2010 11:06 AM
  • That document refers to a very old error in SQL 2005.  That almost certainly is not the issue in SQL 2008 R2.

The first thing to do is update to the current Cumulative Update and see if the problem still occurs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981356/

Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:31 PM
  • Thanks Tom,

I updated the current installation of SQL Server 2008 R2 with CU4 and this was very interesting in results. Now SQL Server reports a different type of error:

"(16943) Could not complete cursor operation because the table schema changed after the cursor was declared."

It sounds a bit more informative. After a short investigation, I found that we use "FAST_FORWARD" argument in our cursor definition and probably this is an issue of the error. In our system both tasks are starting in the same time (at the midnight): database maintenance task and the tasks, which are related to the project. Currently, I temporarily stopped the database maintenance job in SQL Server Agent just to check, will the software notify us about such errors or not. Some people point me up to use "STATIC" in the cursor definition to prevent from this kind of errors, but I am not sure how safe it can be.

Friday, October 29, 2010 11:16 AM
  • I am moving this to the TSQL forum, as it is now really a TSQL query issue.
    Friday, October 29, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Well, if a database maintenance job is off, the SQL Server 2008 R2 doesn't report any errors. As I said before, we cannot make test quicker, because it starts automatically at midnights. At the morning I will turn the maintenance job back just to be sure, that now we definitely know the reason of such behaviour. Our tests will be automatically repeated within a couple of next days and for sure they will bring us the error "16943" back. It still looks a bit strange, because under SQL Server 2005 we didn't have any problems for months.
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:09 PM
  • The error is still reproducible. When the Database Maintenance Job is running at the same time as our SQL-tasks under SQL Server 2008 R2, the same error message occurs:

"(16943) Could not complete cursor operation because the table schema changed after the cursor was declared."

I am completely disappointed... Any ideas?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:38 PM
  • You can file a report at Connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer?wa=wsignin1.0

If you do, can you post the link here? Thanks.

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQL 2008 GRAND SLAM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 3:12 PM