none
Not compatible with VS 2012 RC?

Question

• Today I upgraded my VS 11 Beta install to VS 2012 RC, which resulted in a lot of error messages at startup about "SqlStudio Profile Package", "SqlStudio Editor Package", "Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools" (and some other non-SSDT issues) at startup for both VS 2012 and VS 2012 which also prevents me from opening SSDT projects at all.

Just wanted to warn the rest of you.

Has anayone managed to get it to work so far?

/Daniel Svensson

Friday, June 01, 2012 9:14 AM

Answers

• I repaired the RTW (VS 2010) version (10.3.20225).  There are 3 components for each version, I only repaired the Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools entry (the 1st item in the screen shot below). 

Hope this helps

Monday, June 04, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Hi David,

SSDT is only compatible in existing installations of VS for Pro+ SKUs, so it won't show up in your express installation.  The workaround at this time is to install SSDT for the VS2010 integrated shell.  We have plans to release a version of SSDT for the 2012 integrated shell, as well.

Janet Yeilding

Monday, July 30, 2012 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into this issue-- it's certainly not expected.  Can you pass on the specific error messages that you are seeing?  Also, what's your environment and VS SKU?  Can you create new SSDT projects or is it only projects from beta that are affected?

Thanks,

Janet

Friday, June 01, 2012 5:45 PM
  • Hi Daniel -

My guess is you have some older, incompatible bits on your machine from the beta.  A couple of other things to try:

1. Install VS 2012 on a clean machine (unfortuante, but may be ultimately preferable to the alternative of trying to get the offending bits removed)
    2. Uninstall all older VS and SQL Server 2012 packages from add/remove programs, then re-install VS 2012
    3. Send us a log file by doing the following
    •    start VS from the command line using the following command "devenv /log"
    • post the file %appdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ActivityLog.xml

Thanks,

Mike Kaufman

Microsoft Corp

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Friday, June 01, 2012 5:53 PM
  • I had the same problem.

I noticed in the Uninstall Control Panel that there were now two versions of SSDT installed (10.3 and 11.1). So I uninstalled both versions fully. Then ran the VS2012 RC Install and chose Repair. After it completed (with a couple of reboots) all seems ok with VS2012. However now my VS2010 installation does not like Database Schema Projects. Argh.

I fear trying to reinstall SSDT will corrupt things again. Any advice?

Friday, June 01, 2012 6:56 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue as Daniel_Svensson with the SqlStudio Profile Package.  In addition, I am experiencing a similar problem with the Microsoft.VisualStudio.Data.Tools.PowerTool.SchemaView.SchemaViewPowerToolPackage package.

I was unable to open an existing SQL Server DB project in VS 2010, or create a new DB project in VS 2012.  Then I repaired the original SSDT install (v10.3.20225.0, installed on 3/14/2012), using Control Panel > Programs and Features, and everything appears to be ok.  At least I can open an existing project in 2010 and create a new project in 2012.

I've included a couple of screen shots of the errors & a link to my Public SkyDrive folder, which contains activity logs for VS 2010 & 2012 (before the repair).  Hopefully the log will help someone identify the source of the problem.

Friday, June 01, 2012 8:45 PM
  • st_reed,

Did repairing your SSDT installation fix all the issues you're experiencing?  I'm unclear on if you're still seeing these error messages.  Thanks for the info!

-Janet Yeilding

Friday, June 01, 2012 10:09 PM
  • Janet,

As far as I can tell everything is working fine now (I haven't had time to test everything).  I can open & create DB projects in both 2010 & 2012, something I could not do before the repair.  

I started to write the post detailing my problems, and while doing so decided to run the repair process, which solved my issues.  However, since I had already captured the logs, I continued with the post in case the logs would be useful with trying to isolate the cause of the problem.

Thanks,

Shane

Friday, June 01, 2012 10:25 PM
  • Got it, thanks for clarifying.  Glad that things are working for you!

-Janet Yeilding

Friday, June 01, 2012 10:57 PM
  • To take this a bit further, it also causes VS 2010 to throw the same set of errors if you're performing a side-by-side installation.  I had the VS 2012 Beta installed on the machine and performed an inplace upgrade to the VS 2012 RC.  Thankfully a websearch managed to find this thread (and only this thread), so it does appear there is something going on when the SQL Server Data Tools are installed.

After running a Repair on the SSDT:

• Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate loads as expected (no errors) and a large solution that has data projects in it appears to be working just fine
    • Visual Studio 2012 RC loads as expected (no errors)

Hope it helps a bit.

Scott

Saturday, June 02, 2012 2:35 AM
  • @ScottWilkos

Which version of SSDT did you perform a reinstall for?

I have uninstall and then installed the RMT (VS 2010) version (10.3.20225) without any improvement.
    My activity.xml files for both VS 2010 and 2012 RC can be found on my public skydrive (http://sdrv.ms/M3d01r) togheter with the ouput of psr.exe when opening VS 2012.

/Daniel Svensson

Monday, June 04, 2012 7:23 AM
  • I repaired the RTW (VS 2010) version (10.3.20225).  There are 3 components for each version, I only repaired the Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools entry (the 1st item in the screen shot below). 

Hope this helps

Monday, June 04, 2012 3:03 PM
  • I repaired the RTW (VS 2010) version (10.3.20225).  There are 3 components for each version, I only repaired the Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools entry

Uninstalling and installing it again did not work, but repairing did :)

Note you have to right click "Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools" and choose "change/modify" (or what it is called) since there is no repair option for that item (I previously tried to repair the other two components, but with no improvements).

/Daniel Svensson

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 6:29 AM
  • Thanks for making our team aware of this issue and helping our investigation.  I've added a blog post outlining the problem and workaround here:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ssdt/archive/2012/06/07/upgrade-issue-to-visual-studio-2012-rc.aspx

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention!

-Janet Yeilding

Thursday, June 07, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Janet,

I've installed Visual Studio 2012 RC Express edition and SQL Server Data Tools. I've tried the various repairs suggested here and tried the repair suggested in your blog, but nothing I do makes it possible to create a new sqlproj or open an existing one.

David Mann

Sunday, July 29, 2012 2:48 AM
  • Hi David,

SSDT is only compatible in existing installations of VS for Pro+ SKUs, so it won't show up in your express installation.  The workaround at this time is to install SSDT for the VS2010 integrated shell.  We have plans to release a version of SSDT for the 2012 integrated shell, as well.

Janet Yeilding

Monday, July 30, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hi Janet,

A year ago you said

"SSDT is only compatible in existing installations of VS for Pro+ SKUs, so it won't show up in your express installation.  The workaround at this time is to install SSDT for the VS2010 integrated shell.  We have plans to release a version of SSDT for the 2012 integrated shell, as well."

Is this status still the same? I am wondering if SSDT will work with any of the VS2012 Express editions. 

Kevin Olree

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Right now that is still the case, Express SKUs are not supported, if this changes it will get announced on the team blog http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ssdt/ and this MSDN forum.

-GertD @ www.sqlproj.com

Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:02 PM
  • I repaired the below versions of SSDT

1. Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools - enu (11.1.20627.00)

2.  Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools Build Utilities - enu (11.1.20627.00)

Hurry It works for me.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:04 AM