none
Create Geo-Cluster SQL Server

Question

• Hello All, Urgent help needed any piece of info will be helpfull

Dears i want to know if it's possible to create geo-cluster SQL server with the following configuration.

one server at site A with SAN storage and one server at site B with SAN storage and Using Double take High availbilty software to replicate DB.

servers will have windows 2008 R2 enterprise edition.

Note that site A and Site B are on different subnet.

Ahmed Al-Ahmed MCITP Enterprise Administrator

Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

The short answer is: If that's the current configuration and it can't be changed the, no, you can't.

The longer answer: If the configuration can be changed so that the vlan is stretched and synchronous san based replication can be achieved on the luns supporting the cluster, then yes it is possible. This wouldn't be a trivial task to complete quickly.

-Sean

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:37 PM
    Answerer
  • Every thing can be cahnged, well i don't know what the best solution i choose to protect the app server in my office but the manager insist to put one server in the main office and another one in a remote area, VPN MPLS connection between both site.

if you can help more i will really be happy and appreciated.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:41 PM
  • I would suggest using Database Mirroring or AlwaysOn in SQL 2012 in this situation instead of Double Take.

Please see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190202.aspx

Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Mr Tom please answer this question, can i use one server only in each site for DB mirroring. note that the servers will not be on the same domain.

Best,

Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Because you have seperate servers with seperate storage in 2 sites, this is what Database Mirroring or the new SQL 2012 "Always On Availabilty Groups" is designed for.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff877884.aspx

Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:57 PM