none
SSRS 2005 colors change dramatically when exporting to Excel

Question

• Here is the situation...

I have a SSRS 2005 report that has several columns that are color coded for readability. The report looks great when viewed in the designer, from the report manager or exported as a pdf. But when it's exported to Excel... The colors go WAY off. I'm not talking about slight color shifts. I'm talking about grays turning into blues, blues and green turning gray, oranges turning hot pink!

At first I thought that I was just being restricted to a certain color pallet so I did a little testing. I converted the RGB of Excel's "standard colors" to hex so I knew for a fact that Excel wouldn't have an issue with the specific color but it was still off (not as far off... but still off). The same held true when using SSRS's web safe colors.

A test in SSRS 2008R2 shows that the problem has been fixed in that version, but unfortunately that's not an option. Our production environment is still on SSRS 2005.

I know this is a known issue. I've seen plenty of complaints out on the web but I have yet to see a work around or a fix.

If anyone has a solution, I'd LOVE to know about it.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Jason Long
    Monday, January 24, 2011 9:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Jason,

As you posted, this is a known issue in Reporting Services 2005. It is caused by the algorithm which used to match the colors up with Excel's color palette. However, I’m afraid no hotfix addresses this issue currently in Reporting Services 2005.

We appreciate your understanding. If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Tony Chain

Tony Chain [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Jason A Long Friday, January 28, 2011 2:37 PM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 9:10 AM

All replies

• Anyone???
    Jason Long
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Hi Jason,

As you posted, this is a known issue in Reporting Services 2005. It is caused by the algorithm which used to match the colors up with Excel's color palette. However, I’m afraid no hotfix addresses this issue currently in Reporting Services 2005.

We appreciate your understanding. If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Tony Chain

Tony Chain [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Jason A Long Friday, January 28, 2011 2:37 PM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Tony,

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that would be the answer but I wanted to check here just to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Jason

Jason Long
    Friday, January 28, 2011 2:37 PM