none
Getting "Provider load failure" from SSRS Configuration Manager (SQL 2008 R2 Hot Fix CU3 did not fix the problem)

    Question

  • After upgrading our SQL 2008 cluster to R2, SSRS on one node works fine, but the second node will not allow connection via the Configuration Manager (getting "Provider load failure").  We've done re-installs, repairs and applied Hot Fix CU3, but the issue remains.

    NOTE: It's understood that SSRS is not a clustered resource.  We have it installed as separate instances on each of the two cluster nodes.

    Monday, September 13, 2010 1:05 PM

Answers

  • Thanks for the reply.
    We'd seen the other articles, but none of the DLL solutions fit the bill for us.

    We ended up opening an incident with Microsoft, and they're currently working through the issue.
    The original SQL 2008 installation on Node1 of the cluster had included SSRS as part of the MSSQLSERVER instance.  Node 2 had its own instance of SSRS installed since the service is not clusterable.
    This all functioned just fine in 2008, but when we ran the R2 upgrade it didn't like the configuration and forced us to uninstall SSRS.
    It appears that the uninstall did not clear everything out completely, and WMI is getting stuck somewhere on the old, non-existent MSSQLSERVER instance of SSRS on Node1.

    So far uninstalling SSRS, cleaning the registry by hand, and re-installing has not resolved the problem, but Microsoft is still working on it.

    Lesson Learned:  NEVER include SSRS for any part of the base SQL install to a cluster.  ALWAYS get the clustered SQL services running first, and then go back to install/configure SSRS on each node separately.

    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:34 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    We will report your issue to Microsoft. However, i had read some threads about this issue and there were 2 ways might be able to solve this issue. One is to register RS WMI dll, the other is to copy the framedyn.dll to the specified path. See http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/9763ff22-584c-4d69-adb7-1e4ded081eec/ for details on them. Of course, you also can submit a feedback at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback to report this issue.

    thanks,
    Jerry

    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:12 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.
    We'd seen the other articles, but none of the DLL solutions fit the bill for us.

    We ended up opening an incident with Microsoft, and they're currently working through the issue.
    The original SQL 2008 installation on Node1 of the cluster had included SSRS as part of the MSSQLSERVER instance.  Node 2 had its own instance of SSRS installed since the service is not clusterable.
    This all functioned just fine in 2008, but when we ran the R2 upgrade it didn't like the configuration and forced us to uninstall SSRS.
    It appears that the uninstall did not clear everything out completely, and WMI is getting stuck somewhere on the old, non-existent MSSQLSERVER instance of SSRS on Node1.

    So far uninstalling SSRS, cleaning the registry by hand, and re-installing has not resolved the problem, but Microsoft is still working on it.

    Lesson Learned:  NEVER include SSRS for any part of the base SQL install to a cluster.  ALWAYS get the clustered SQL services running first, and then go back to install/configure SSRS on each node separately.

    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:34 PM
  • I have the same problem after upgrading to R2.  Have you received a resolution from Microsoft yet?
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:48 PM
  • The problem might be with incorrectly unistalled another instance of Reporting Services. I just solved it using these steps (modified version of a guy from MS):

    1. Run command wbemtest

    2. Click "Connect"and connect to “ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer”(type this path in the Namespace textbox)

    3. After connecting to the name space, click "Query" to query “SELECT * from __namespace”. There SHOULD be one data in the record window (while the server only have one RS instance).

    4. Double-click the record, in the new properties windows, get the path value such as “\\<server>\ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer:__NAMESPACE.Name="RS_MSSQLSERVER" ”

    5. Now, close all sub dialogs, and then re-connect to “ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer\RS_MSSQLSERVER”. "RS_MSSQLSERVER" is the Namespace.Name in step4

    6. Query “SELECT * from __namespace” again.

    7. Repeat step4,5, we will get the new path “ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer\RS_MSSQLSERVER\v10”

    8. Repeat step2 to 7 until there is no record in the Query result dialog. Finally, the path is \\server\ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer\RS_MSSQLSERVER\v10\admin

    If we can't get the final path \\server\ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer\RS_MSSQLSERVER\v10\admin, it means the Reporting Services WMI provider is not installed correctly. If we can get to that path, there might be an orphaned instance of SSRS. Go back to step 2 and do these steps:

    9. Click "Connect"and connect to “ROOT\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer”

    10. After connecting to the name space, click "Query" to query “SELECT * from __namespace”. If there is more than 1 record, and you have only 1 SSRS instance installed (or at least you think you have), click on all the other records, and hit "Delete" button.

    11. Now restart SSRS Configuration Manager and you should connect without problems.

    Saturday, July 16, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Thank you mate....your post worth for solving my problem....
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 10:54 AM