none
SQL Server remote connection from vb.net

Question

• I have tried for three hours to connect to a network machine running SQL Server Express 2008 from a vb.net client. Will not work. Here is what I have done.
    Enabled SQL Browser
    No Windows or any fire wall running on either client or server.
    TCP is enabled in Server configuration tool for server and client. Port 1433
    Using Mixed mode security.
    Shared folder for SQL mdf file is wide open privileges. Share is the Data folder of the SQL install location.
    PORT UI tool reports port is not listening.
     Error I get in database connection wizard of VB.net (long time out) is as follows.
    "A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL server. The server was not found or was not accessible. verify that the instance name is correct and the SQL Server is configured for remote connections. ( provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error:26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"

I have looked at countless forum fixes for this to no avail at all. Reinstalled SQL Express and took all defaults - still no luck. Any help is appreciated.

Guy
    • Edited by gedkins Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:49 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:59 PM

All replies

• Have you connected using this instance name - computer\SQLEXPRESS ?

bass_player http://bassplayerdoc.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:42 AM
  • (1) Is it possible that you specify the server with instance name (computer\SQLEXPRESS) but the SQL Server is installed as a "default" instance (guessing based on the default port number 1433)? 

(2) You say: "PORT UI tool reports port is not listening": if this refers to the SQL Server TCP port than you need to ensure that SQL Server is listening on a TCP port, e.g. by enabling TCP in SQL Server Configuration Manager, and then restarting the SQL Server. 

Friday, July 17, 2009 8:23 PM
  • friends i too am trying trying to make a shared connection of a same database file in an office. I have chosen vb.net as programming language and sql server as database. Please any one of you can kindly help me whenever i face any shots of problem. I shall be very greatful if any one responds to my message

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:36 PM
  • Try just using the IP Address of the machine as the sql server name. i.e. \\192.168.1.123

The DNS resolution of names is very strict and can prove to be painful to work with.

Adam

Ctrl+Z
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Some ideas that might help: How to Troubleshoot Connecting to the SQL Server Database Engine
    Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:01 PM