none
SSIS Error 0xC00CE508 Problem, solution, and queston

General discussion

• This instance of this problem was not seen in the 3 other posts,  so I thought the solution might be of interest.

I have a family of 120 flat files I must import into SQL 2005.  I wanted to group these in about 6 groups, corresponding to the export scripts that generate the flat files from a COBOL database server.  The discussion below involves phase 1 of this project where I have one group and two flat files.

The plan was to store only Control Flow dtsx packages on the server that would be responsible for executing each of the group member import packages stored in the file system of the server.  In the test setup here I have the server package CLTA_import.dtsx that executes packages markers.dtsx and measure.dtsx.

The system was developed on my workstation with BIDS and worked correctly.

CLTA_import.dtsx was deployed using the "Save Copy of..." command and stored in DTS Packages on the server.  I deployed the markers and measure packages by file system copy/paste.

Just to note, I initially encountered ProtectionLevel problems that had to be corrected by changing the ProtectionLevel on all the packages to DontSaveSensitive.  When that was corrected, I still encountered the following error when attempting to execute the package on the server using a scheduled job.  A briefer version of the same message was seen when exectuing the package directly (right click on the CLTA_import package) on the server.  This error is from the scheduled package history log:

"03/05/2009 03:30:00,CLTA_import,Error,1,MHDATA,CLTA_import,CLTA_step1,,Executed as user: MHCBC\sqladmin. Microsoft (R) SQL Server Execute Package Utility  Version 9.00.3042.00 for 64-bit  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved.    Started:  3:30:00 AM  Error: 2009-03-05 03:30:00.54     Code: 0xC00220E3     Source: Execute markers_dtsx      Description: Error 0xC00CE508 while loading package file "C:\cmhc_dtsx\markers.dtsx" into an XML document. An invalid character was found in text content.   Line 610<c/> Column 1004.  End Error  DTExec: The package execution returned DTSER_FAILURE (1).  Started:  3:30:00 AM  Finished: 3:30:00 AM  Elapsed:  0.141 seconds.  The package execution failed.  The step failed.,00:00:00,0,0,,,,0"

The error was eliminated by deploying the measures and markers packages via the "Save Copy of ..." and the whole thing runs by direct execution on the server or running the scheduled job.  We'll be certain tomorrow if this all works completely automatically.  I thought I had this all set up last night, but got the errors afresh this AM, so re-deployed measure.dtsx and markers.dtsx.

After success this AM, I was curious what was going on, so I diff'd the measure and markers packages from the server file system and the workstation BIDS project directory.  The differences were all in GUID's. 

Here's the question:  Is it correct that the GUID's are changed by "Save copy of..." process, and are they therefore changed to synchronize with the server package or the other security features of the server?

Thanks, Tom

Thursday, March 05, 2009 5:25 PM