none
A call to 'CreateProcessAsUser' failed with error code: '1314'.

Question

• Hi!

Have a problem to execute xp_cmdshell with a proxy user in MSSQL2005 (9.00.2047.00). The error is:

Msg 15121, Level 16, State 10, Procedure xp_cmdshell, Line 1

An error occurred during the execution of xp_cmdshell. A call to 'CreateProcessAsUser' failed with error code: '1314'.

The proxy user is a local administrator on the sql server machine. The proxy user have “Replace a process level token” rights thru the group SQLServer2005MSSQLUSer (http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=627221&SiteId=1).

I have even tried to use a domain administrator as proxy user, but the same error occur.

What is wrong? I have search the internet a lot and found that many people have this problem without any answer.

Thanks in advance,

John

Monday, March 26, 2007 7:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• Monday, March 26, 2007 8:01 AM
  • For an English version of the page, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/248391/us.

Note that the proxy account should be set using sp_xp_cmdshell_proxy_account.

Thanks
    Laurentiu

Monday, March 26, 2007 8:23 PM
  • UPS,

it was a mistake of my part, thanks for the adjustment to english URL.

THX Laurentiu Cristofor

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 5:57 AM
  • Unfortunately the article 248391 didn’t help.

Act as part of the operating system.

>Added the proxy user to this policy group

Increase quotas.

>Quotas isn’t active on this machine

Replace process level token.

>Added the user to this policy but was already member here thru the SQLServer2005MSSQLUser group.

Log on as a batch job.

>Added the user to this policy but was already member here thru the SQLServer2005MSSQLUser group.

Also, make sure that the local SQLAgentCmdExec account has "Log on as a batch job" permissions.

>This account was already added to the policy group.

After the above changes was performed the machine was rebooted. 

I also tried to using sp_xp_cmdshell_proxy_account to set the proxy account. But the same error occurs.

I’m out of ideas!!

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 6:42 AM
  • Hi,

one more question, have you test it with a user who is  a member of  the sysadmin fixed server role?

- because xp_cmdshell will be executed under the security context in which the SQL Server service is running, when the user is not a member of the sysadmin group, xp_cmdshell will impersonate the proxy account.

CU

tosc

InsideSQL.de

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:37 AM
  • I have tested to use my personal domain account as proxy user with the same error. My account is domain administrator, hence sysadmin. I just tried to register the proxy user in sql and added sysadmin role without success. The same error!! Should I try to restart the machine? Must wait for the evening then.

If I try to run xp_cmdshell everything works great (because my sysadmin role?). But for all non admin accounts this error occurs.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:46 AM
  • Hi,

yes you must restart the entire server, not just the SQL Services, in order for any changes made to user rights permissions to take effect!

John.Jonsson wrote:

If I try to run xp_cmdshell everything works great (because my sysadmin role?). But for all non admin accounts this error occurs.

Yes, it's because xp_cmdshell is invoked by a user who is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role, xp_cmdshell will be executed under the security context in which the SQL Server service is running.

You have to specified the proxy account, by using sp_xp_cmdshell_proxy_account!

Code Snippet
    EXEC sp_xp_cmdshell_proxy_account 'ADVWKS\Max04', 'ds35efg##65";
    GO 

One more question, did you use xp_cmdshell local or by remote? - plz try a local use.

CU

tosc

InsideSQL.de

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 11:15 AM
  • It works now!!! After I restarted the server it worked. During the restart sql 2005 sp2 was installed. Could that have something with the solution?

Thanks for all help!

Friday, March 30, 2007 6:24 AM
  • Hi John.Jonsson,

YES  - restarting the entire Server.

CU

Friday, March 30, 2007 7:57 AM
  • It's not SP2, it's the restart.

Thanks

Laurentiu

Friday, March 30, 2007 5:17 PM
  • Hi Laurentiu,

that`s what I mean.

THX

tosc

Friday, March 30, 2007 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

One question - can I use local machine account as CmdProxyAccount or I have to use a domain one?

Second question - can I use as CmdProxy the same account SQL service is running on?

Thx

Michal

Friday, February 22, 2008 9:01 AM