none
sql 2012 alwayson SRSS and SSAS

Question

• Am i understanding this correct that SQL 2012 AlwaysOn AG is only for relational databases?
    Im asking this because i want HA for my TFS and TFS uses SRSS and SSAS.

I know you can "use" sql alwayson AG for SRSS and SSAS as described in the articles below:

So if i want HA for SRSS i configure 1 SRSS machine and let it point to the SQL AG group correct, so this means that SRSS is HA on database level correct ??
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh882437.aspx

And if i want HA for SSAS i configure 1 SSAS machine and let it point to the SQL AG group correct, so this means that SSAS is HA on database level correct ??
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh967523.aspx

Resume:
    So if i read all correct SQL AlwaysON AG is not a "real" HA option for SRSS and SSAS?
    So for SSAS HA old school clustering (AlwaysOn FCI) is the only and best HA solution?

But for SRSS HA? 1 SRSS machine and point  to AlwaysON AG ?

Can SQL AlwaysON FCI and AlwaysON AG be combined on the 2 sql nodes, so
    AG for relational databases
    FCI for SSAS

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 2:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Dirk, that is correct, AlwaysOn Ags provide database/s level HA. Failover Clustered Instances provide instance level HA.

Yes you can cluster SSAS if you want to provide HA to you SSAS instance (like you say). As you have quite rightly determined, SSRS does not natively support Clustering so the recommended (and the option I recommend) solution is to implement SSRS and use network load balancing -which is fairly easy to accomplish. You might also find the following url very interesting since it discusses SSRS and clustering and the option I have discussed.

High Availability – Frequently Asked Questions about Failover Clustering and Reporting Services

With respect to using AGs on FCIs, yes this is possible *but* this setup is less common and there are considerations (which can be found in the following):

See the section titled Considerations for hosting an Availability Replica on an FCI.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog|SQLCloud)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Watch my sessions at the PASS Summit 2012

Thursday, January 03, 2013 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Dirk, that is correct, AlwaysOn Ags provide database/s level HA. Failover Clustered Instances provide instance level HA.

Yes you can cluster SSAS if you want to provide HA to you SSAS instance (like you say). As you have quite rightly determined, SSRS does not natively support Clustering so the recommended (and the option I recommend) solution is to implement SSRS and use network load balancing -which is fairly easy to accomplish. You might also find the following url very interesting since it discusses SSRS and clustering and the option I have discussed.

High Availability – Frequently Asked Questions about Failover Clustering and Reporting Services

With respect to using AGs on FCIs, yes this is possible *but* this setup is less common and there are considerations (which can be found in the following):

See the section titled Considerations for hosting an Availability Replica on an FCI.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Thursday, January 03, 2013 8:38 AM
  • Mark, thanks for you answer!
    Just the way i like it short, to the point direct with info and refferences!
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback Dirk, I try not to waffle :) and you are most welcome!

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Thursday, January 03, 2013 9:45 AM