none
Unable to add feature to existing SQL Server 2008 R2 Install

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to add reporting services to an existing 2008 R2 instance as a pre-requisite for a fresh CRM 2011 installation. I figured out that the "Installation Type" page that allows adding features to an existing instance does not show up. This is an SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise installation and the Data-base Engine is up and running and being used by SharePoint. The OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 with all updates installed.

Tried to run setup "as administrator", but didn't help. Tried Add/Remove from control panel, but no difference. Seems that the setup routine does not recognize the instance initially. Is there any command line switch that forces the Installation Type page to appear?

I'd be thankful for any hints.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:47 AM

Answers

• For anyone who runs into the same issue: I decided not to fiddle with patch-level and boot-strap code, but instead slip-streamed the 2008 R2 SP1 disk image to SP2 using the method described here. This appeared to be more reasonable. And this did the trick for me. I was finally able to install reporting services for the running SQL server instance.

A simple error message indicating a version conflict would have saved hours, though.

Thanks for your support everyone.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:31 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please run the discovery report and share the results with us. The following post may help you run the report:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/petersad/archive/2009/11/13/sql-server-2008-discovery-report.aspx  

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Hi Alberto,

here are the results:

Discovery Report Results

Regards

Arasch Honarbacht

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:21 PM
  • Hello,

Please run the SQL setup program. Once the installer launches, click New Installation or add features to an existing installation. At the Feature Selection prompt, click on the checkbox next to Reporting Services. Click Next.

If you already performed the above procedure, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:57 PM
  • I already did that. When I proceed the setup wants to create a new instance, there is no way for me to let the installer add this feature to the existing instance. If I select default instance (which applies in my case), the setup wizard shows an error. It insists on creating a new instance, which I don't want.
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Hello,

Please run the following command:

setup.exe /Action=install /Features=RS   

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:10 PM
  • Hello Alberto,

thank's for your input. I already tried that as well. Same result.

Regards

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Hello,

Maybe the instance installed is 32-bit and you are trying to perform a 64-bit installation, or vice versa.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Hello ,

The SQL instance enumeration failure may be WMI related. Because WMI service takes care of enumerating SQL instances during the patch installation.

During the downtime, try to recomp the  SQL Mof file using:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared>mofcomp "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Hello,

Maybe the instance installed is 32-bit and you are trying to perform a 64-bit installation, or vice versa.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Hello,

no, it is the 64-bit edition of SQL Server and I chose "SQL-Server Installationscenter (64-bit)" from the start menu. As I mentioned before, I also used the Add/Remove Software feature of control panel. Same thing. How can I tell which edition is going to be installed from the setup wizard? It shows WOW64but that might be related to the underlying Windows Server 2008 R2.

Regards

Thursday, March 07, 2013 7:29 AM
  • Hello ,

The SQL instance enumeration failure may be WMI related. Because WMI service takes care of enumerating SQL instances during the patch installation.

During the downtime, try to recomp the  SQL Mof file using:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared>mofcomp "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"

Hello,

I don't have a .mof file in the 80, 90 nor 100 folder. There are a number in MSSQL/Binn (screenshot attached). How do I create the file and where (90 or 100 sub-folder)?

Regards

If I execute above command, which 

Thursday, March 07, 2013 7:37 AM
  • From discovery report seems you have SQL Server 2008  components installed and you are trying to use SQL Server 2008 R2 media to add features, would you please try to use SQL Server 2008 media to add the required features.

FAQ
    ----
    Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:42 AM
  • Hello ,

Try to do this one 

>>Click on install new instance .

>>when you get the features to install select the Reporting services only . 

>> Leave it to install .This will allow you to install the Reporting services only .

>>Please let me know if you any issue 

Chidamabar 

Microsoft technical support engineer .(MICROSOFT)

Sunday, March 10, 2013 9:24 AM
  • Hello 

Just wanted this the know issue .Because of some MSI and MSP are missing because of that you are not able to install the Reporting services .

please try the below steps suggested by me .

Chidamabar 

Microsoft technical support engineer .(MICROSOFT

Sunday, March 10, 2013 9:27 AM
  • From discovery report seems you have SQL Server 2008  components installed and you are trying to use SQL Server 2008 R2 media to add features, would you please try to use SQL Server 2008 media to add the required features.

FAQ
    ----
    Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.

That is not quite correct. From the version numbers you can see that it is 2008 R2 (10.5+)
    Monday, March 11, 2013 8:06 AM
  • Hello Chidamabar,

Reporting Services obviously need an instance for installation. I cannot specify the existing instance (c.f. screen shot). What shall I do?

Regards

Arasch Honarbacht

Monday, March 11, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Would you please share screenshot for "Feature selection" dialog

FAQ
    ----
    Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Monday, March 11, 2013 12:15 PM
  • Hello Ahmed,

here is the feature selection. I've ticked Reporting Services, nothing else.

Berst Regards

Monday, March 11, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Hello ,

Try using new instance and check it out are you able to install it r not ,

As per me you can install .

Please send me the Screen shot of Control panel and follow the link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969052?wa=wsignin1.0 and the run the Script specified in the article .

• Proposed as answer by chidu331989 Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:05 AM
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:05 AM
  • Hello ,

Try using new instance and check it out are you able to install it r not ,

As per me you can install .

Please send me the Screen shot of Control panel and follow the link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969052?wa=wsignin1.0 and the run the Script specified in the article .

Hello,

I've installed RS for a new instance. But the RS is only included for the new instance, not for the old one (where I need it). But this attempt revealed the Installation Type page, which was missing earlier. Still, I cannot select the previous instance (though it is properly listed). It seems to be a version conflict. The previously installed instance version is 10.51.2500.0, the new instance is 10.50.1600.1, i.e. *older*. That's a good reason why adding a feature does not work.

How do I obtain a suitable installer? I have access to installation media as of May 3, 2010 via Partner Network. Do I need to upgrade the installation media via slip-streaming or the like?

Seems I have SP1 media and SP2 is installed. I'll try to slip-stream the installer to SP2...

Thanks for your help so far.

Regards

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:35 AM
  • SQL Server 2008 R2

1. Save the following in a .reg file and merge to populate the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Bootstrap]
    "BootstrapDir"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\100\\Setup Bootstrap\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Bootstrap\Setup]
    "PatchLevel"="10.50.1600.00"

2. Next, copy the following files and folders from the media to the specified destinations:

File/Folder in media

Destination

X64/X86 folder (depending on what architecture you want to install)

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2008R2

Setup.exe

Resources folder

Next, re-run the setup, and it should proceed beyond the point of error this time.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:11 PM
  • For anyone who runs into the same issue: I decided not to fiddle with patch-level and boot-strap code, but instead slip-streamed the 2008 R2 SP1 disk image to SP2 using the method described here. This appeared to be more reasonable. And this did the trick for me. I was finally able to install reporting services for the running SQL server instance.

A simple error message indicating a version conflict would have saved hours, though.

Thanks for your support everyone.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:31 PM