none
System can't find the file spacified

Question

• I am working on creating peer-to-peer replication testing.

I have created Peer publication from DEV-> DBTEST. 

All log reader agent job working to be fine on DEV but it give me error on DBTEST as follow.

Any help should be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if more information is required.

Executed as user: sqlservices. Replication-Replication Transaction-Log Reader Subsystem: agent DBTEST-Test_PeerReplication-8 failed. The system cannot find the file specified.  The step failed. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 14151).  The step failed.

Friday, April 26, 2013 6:30 AM

Answers

• These can be reinstalled by repairing the replication features using the SQL Server setup.

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

My Blog | Hire Me

• Marked as answer by New_DBA Saturday, May 04, 2013 11:22 AM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 1:14 PM
  • It sounds like you have a corrupt installation of the replication features. You will need to remove them and then reinstall them.

looking for a book on SQL Server 2008 Administration? http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Server-2008-Management-Administration/dp/067233044X looking for a book on SQL Server 2008 Full-Text Search? http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Full-Text-Search-Server-2008/dp/1430215941

• Marked as answer by New_DBA Saturday, May 04, 2013 11:21 AM
    Friday, May 03, 2013 3:47 PM
  • Yes you mentioned i have removed them and re install using following method, but still getting the same error. Please let me know if i am missing anything.

1) Removed all files (DISTIRIB.exe, logread.exe, qrdsvc.exe, snapshot.exe) from TestServer2.

2) I did check and found that rdistcom.dll, REPLAGNT.dll,REPLDP.DLL was not there in TestServer2, so i have copied them from TestServer1.

3) Register DISTIRIB.exe, logread.exe, qrdsvc.exe, snapshot.exe using batch file.

1. Copy the following command to a batch file:
      snapshot.exe -regserver 
      distrib.exe -regserver 
      replmerg.exe -regserver 
      logread.exe -regserver 
      qrdrsvc.exe –regserver

2. Run the batch file created in above  from the \Microsoft Sql Server\100\Com folder.

Saturday, May 04, 2013 3:44 AM
  • Thanks for the support everyone.

That works for me. Uninstall agents and try again and it works perfectly fine.

Saturday, May 04, 2013 11:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you sure that all replication  related binaries are available on the box? Did you install replication related files?

Janos

My Blog | Hire Me

Friday, April 26, 2013 10:33 AM
  • Nope. I dint install any files.

Distribution DB was already set for both Server, so i didn't configure any distribution related stuff.

And i am not quite sure about related binaries are available on the box?

What should i have to check for?

Friday, April 26, 2013 10:52 AM
  • make sure you have SQL Server replication feature installed. Your error used to come up when it is not installed or missing the agent executables such as distrib.exe, logread.exe

Janos

My Blog | Hire Me

Friday, April 26, 2013 11:21 AM
  • SQL Server replication feature is installed as i can see there few publications-subscriptions are already there.

Can you please let me know from where should i check for missing the agent executables such as distrib.exe, logread.exe?

Friday, April 26, 2013 11:26 AM
  • thez should be in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\<version>\COM\ folder.

My Blog | Hire Me

Friday, April 26, 2013 11:36 AM
  • It seems like following files are missing.

Where should i register these files? and what is the process?

snapshot.exe 
    distrib.exe 
    replmerg.exe
    logread.exe
    qrdrsvc.exe 
    Friday, April 26, 2013 11:58 AM
  • These can be reinstalled by repairing the replication features using the SQL Server setup.

My Blog | Hire Me

• Marked as answer by New_DBA Saturday, May 04, 2013 11:22 AM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 1:14 PM
  • Thanks a lot for your help Jason.

I have repaired above agents on C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\COM\ folder.

But now i am getting the below error

The image file type error).  The step failed. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 14151).

Friday, May 03, 2013 1:22 PM
  • It sounds like you have a corrupt installation of the replication features. You will need to remove them and then reinstall them.

looking for a book on SQL Server 2008 Administration? http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Server-2008-Management-Administration/dp/067233044X looking for a book on SQL Server 2008 Full-Text Search? http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Full-Text-Search-Server-2008/dp/1430215941

Friday, May 03, 2013 3:47 PM
  • Yes you mentioned i have removed them and re install using following method, but still getting the same error. Please let me know if i am missing anything.

1) Removed all files (DISTIRIB.exe, logread.exe, qrdsvc.exe, snapshot.exe) from TestServer2.

2) I did check and found that rdistcom.dll, REPLAGNT.dll,REPLDP.DLL was not there in TestServer2, so i have copied them from TestServer1.

3) Register DISTIRIB.exe, logread.exe, qrdsvc.exe, snapshot.exe using batch file.

1. Copy the following command to a batch file:
      snapshot.exe -regserver 
      distrib.exe -regserver 
      replmerg.exe -regserver 
      logread.exe -regserver 
      qrdrsvc.exe –regserver

2. Run the batch file created in above  from the \Microsoft Sql Server\100\Com folder.

Saturday, May 04, 2013 3:44 AM
  • Thanks for the support everyone.

That works for me. Uninstall agents and try again and it works perfectly fine.

Saturday, May 04, 2013 11:21 AM