none
Can't access Config Mgr. Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable SQL 2005

Question

• Hi, I'm getting the below message when i try and access SQL Config Manager on my Windows Server 2003 box running SQL Server 2005 SP3.

"Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL Server 2005 and later servers with SQL Server Configuration Manager.
    Invalid namespace [0x8004100e]"

I've looked at lots of forums and most suggest running mofcomp below but this does not work, there is no sqlmgmprovider*.mof file anywhere in the machine:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared>mofcomp "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof" or sqlmgmprovider.mof

I can see all the databases in SQL Server Management Studio ok and can connect.

I'm stumped !! I'm a SQL novice, any help greatly appreciated. One thing i'll mention is the C:  drive did run out of space, but whwther that's got anything to do with it?

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Manish

I have already tried what was in the link you supplied, as stated at outset, the MOF file doesn't exist. Thanks

I have also restarted the Server twice (Therefore restarting the WMI Service), this did not work.

I finally restored a backup of the server last night and this is working, strangely the sqlmgmprovider.mof file doesn't exist on my now working one. What is this MOF file for then ?

Thanks

UPDATE: This problem is now resolved, I restored a backup of the server. I have a feeling some files may have been deleted, and it's working fine now and there is no sqlmgmprovider.mof file so this obviously isn't required.

• Edited by wbljb14 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by wbljb14 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 7:28 AM

All replies

• A quick try is to restart Windows Management Instrumentation Service and see if it fix the issue.

Go to Run->Type Services.msc-->Enter-->Choose WMI service and restart it.

Drive space doesnt look a problem to me for this particular issue,however you really have to fix the space issues of C:\ as it might bring more trouble for you.

Thank you,

Anup | Forum Support| If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful. If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Hi Manish

I have already tried what was in the link you supplied, as stated at outset, the MOF file doesn't exist. Thanks

I have also restarted the Server twice (Therefore restarting the WMI Service), this did not work.

I finally restored a backup of the server last night and this is working, strangely the sqlmgmprovider.mof file doesn't exist on my now working one. What is this MOF file for then ?

Thanks

UPDATE: This problem is now resolved, I restored a backup of the server. I have a feeling some files may have been deleted, and it's working fine now and there is no sqlmgmprovider.mof file so this obviously isn't required.

• Edited by wbljb14 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by wbljb14 Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Hi wbljb14,

"mofcomp sqlmgmprovider.mof" compiles .mof file and register WMI definitions into WMI database.

Once it is registered in WMI, you don't have to have it on your disk. The mof is there to recover SQL WMI provider just in case it is accidently corrupted.

For more information, here is a good article for SQL WMI provider.

http://www.sqlmgmt.com/sql/sql-wmi-provider

• Edited by Alex Y Lee Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:22 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:21 PM
  • Hi,

I just ran into the same issue and I first couldn't find the file either. Please note the storage path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared

and I looked into C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared folder where I could not finy the file. The file is located in the x86 program files folder.

I ran the command stated in the links above and now it works again. Just wanted to add this not in case someone else finds this thread and can't find the file :)

Cheers,

Joerg

Thursday, February 02, 2012 9:15 AM
  • I got same error on server and with further debugging got to know that registry is corrupted. I had raised case with MS for registry, however have rebooted server parallely.

It did the trick and i was able to open configuration manager.

Be sure reboot is a temprary fix as you can get same error again, Better to correct registry either by restore or some other way.

Charanjit Jagdev

Charanjit Jagdev

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:44 AM