none
Unable to open BCP host data-file (again)

Question

• I see there are several threads concerning the bcp error "Unable to open BCP host data-file", and none of the solutions work for me.

The data file that I am trying to bcp into MS SQL Server database is very large: 2.5GB
    and I suspect this is the problem since I cannot even use "more" on the file.

G:\>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\bcp" dbnm..xxx in   
    xxx.dat -c -b10000 -Sdbsvr,6500 -T
    SQLState = S1000, NativeError = 0
    Error 
    = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Unable to open BCP host data-file 

01/21/2009 03:14  2,597,304,441   xxx.dat  
    19 File(s)        2,608,702,758 bytes  
    2 Dir(s)        125,654,343,680 bytes free  

G:\>more  xxx.dat  

Cannot access file G:\xxx.dat 

Unless anyone has any great ideas, I will simply break up the file into smaller chunks and bcp in one chunk at a time.

Tom

Tom Stone
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:43 PM

Answers

• I forgot to mention that I have been using the G: drive for all other bcp tasks successfully.

Apparently the G: drive is a shared drive and somehow associated with "Active Directory" which has some file size limits.

Once created the 2.5GB file on the C: drive I was able to bcp the data into the MS SQL Server database.

Tom Stone
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:25 PM

All replies

• Size is not the issue.

Did you try using the full path "G:\xxx.dat"?

This sounds like a security issue, not a BCP specific issue.  Is G: a mapped drive?  What are the rights on the file?

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Yes.  I tried  using the full path "G:\xxx.dat" and got the same error.

What about the "more" command getting the error .... "Cannot access file ..."

Tom Stone
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:54 PM
  • I forgot to mention that I have been using the G: drive for all other bcp tasks successfully.

Apparently the G: drive is a shared drive and somehow associated with "Active Directory" which has some file size limits.

Once created the 2.5GB file on the C: drive I was able to bcp the data into the MS SQL Server database.

Tom Stone
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:25 PM
  • What you describe is caused by a "delegation" problem in AD. 

Please see one of the many threads on "BULK INSERT ACCESS DENIED".
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:00 PM