none
Active / Passive Cluster with Multiple SQL instances

Question

• I have the 2 node Server 2008 Cluster set up as active / passive, I also have the 2 named instances of SQL set up with it own disks.  My issue is that is the named Instance 1 fails and goes to Physical Cluster Node 2 and Instance 2 stays on Physical cluster Node 1 then it becomes Active / Active and requires additional SQL licensing costs.  What can I do to ensure that both Named Instances stay on the same physical node so it stays Active / Passive?
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I'm not a Microsoft Licensing expert and all advice is given without warranty or penalty faced, but a simple failover for a day or two does not require an extra license.

If you did want to do this though, there would be a few ways to tackle it. The best way is to use some type of internal monitoring solution to monitor for failover events and be paged or otherwise notified that this event occurred. The monitoring tool (if possible) should be able to do something in response, and a simple powershell script that uses the clustering module would be able to failover any desired services.

Having said that, I feel it's a terrible idea to automatically fail over any service. It's in a cluster for a reason, to be highly available and not be randomly failed during any point in the day. I would, instead, note that a failure occurred and plan to move it back during an outage window.

-Sean

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:34 PM
    Answerer
  • Dear Zen,

Just on cent from me It does not require licensing.You have paid price for two windows box and two sql server setup that's all.Whether you use as active or passive I don think Licensing has to do anything there.

So you can make it A/A or A/P as you like.

>>What can I do to ensure that both Named Instances stay on the same physical node so it stays Active / Passive?

You cannot stop failover and you shouldn't at least thats what cluster is all about,   but you can put some alert to monitor that.Main point here is to find out what made your instance to failover.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:25 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I'm not a Microsoft Licensing expert and all advice is given without warranty or penalty faced, but a simple failover for a day or two does not require an extra license.

If you did want to do this though, there would be a few ways to tackle it. The best way is to use some type of internal monitoring solution to monitor for failover events and be paged or otherwise notified that this event occurred. The monitoring tool (if possible) should be able to do something in response, and a simple powershell script that uses the clustering module would be able to failover any desired services.

Having said that, I feel it's a terrible idea to automatically fail over any service. It's in a cluster for a reason, to be highly available and not be randomly failed during any point in the day. I would, instead, note that a failure occurred and plan to move it back during an outage window.

-Sean

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:34 PM
    Answerer
  • Dear Zen,

Just on cent from me It does not require licensing.You have paid price for two windows box and two sql server setup that's all.Whether you use as active or passive I don think Licensing has to do anything there.

So you can make it A/A or A/P as you like.

>>What can I do to ensure that both Named Instances stay on the same physical node so it stays Active / Passive?

You cannot stop failover and you shouldn't at least thats what cluster is all about,   but you can put some alert to monitor that.Main point here is to find out what made your instance to failover.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:25 AM