none
The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance SQLEXPRESS is not valid

Question

• Hi,

I get the following error message:

The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance SQLEXPRESS is not valid.
    Source: SQLBrowser
    Event ID: 3

What does this mean?

Kind regards.
    Monday, February 07, 2011 10:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I've disabled the browser service because I don't need this service.
    Issue temporarily solved!

I want to thank everybody.

Kind regards.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:34 AM

All replies

•  

looks the brwoser service cannot open a connection to the instance of SQL Server though the specified protocols .Please refer the following link :
    http://www.sqlcoffee.com/Troubleshooting008.htm

--------------------
    Thanks,Suhas V

Monday, February 07, 2011 10:52 AM
  • Thank you for your answer, did Enable 'Named Pipes' using SQL Server Configuration Manager, when I restart the services I het the following messages:

1. The SQLBrowser service has shutdown.
    2. The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance SQLEXPRESS is not valid.
    3. The SQLBrowser is enabling SQL instance and connectivity discovery support.
    4. The SQLBrowser service has started.

Is the problem now solved?

Kind regards.
    Monday, February 07, 2011 11:12 AM
  • can you please even verify wether TCP protocol is enabled ? If the TCP protocol is not enable than please enable it

-------------
    Thanks,Suhas V
    Monday, February 07, 2011 11:16 AM
  • TCP protocol was already enabled.
    Kind regards.
    Monday, February 07, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Hello Suhas,

see MSDN: Using a Dedicated Administrator Connection => Restrictions:

To conserve resources, SQL Server Express does not listen on the DAC port unless started with a trace flag 7806.     

You have to set the trace flag when you want to open a DAC to SQL Server Express!

Olaf Helper ----------- * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum * Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich http://olafhelper.over-blog.de
    Monday, February 07, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Hello Olaf,

Can you please tell me how I can set the trace flag!

Kind regards.
    Monday, February 07, 2011 1:01 PM
  • With DBCC TRACEON (Transact-SQL)

=> DBCC TRACEON (7806)

Olaf Helper ----------- * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum * Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich http://olafhelper.over-blog.de
    Monday, February 07, 2011 1:10 PM
  • 'dbcc' is not recognized, is this a separte tool.
    I use SQL Server 90.0.5000 on Windows 2003 Server

Kind regards.
    Monday, February 07, 2011 1:15 PM
  • DBCC is a standard command in SQL Server, nothing special or a separate tool.

What do you mean withe "recognized"? Do you get an error message when you execute the statement?

Monday, February 07, 2011 1:43 PM
  • Is this the right method:

1. sqlcmd -S.\sqlexpress
    2. DBCC TRACEON (7806)
    3. GO

Kind regards.
    Monday, February 07, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Yes, that's correct.
    Monday, February 07, 2011 1:57 PM
  • DBCC TRACEON 7806, server process ID (SPID) 56. This is an informational message only; no user action is required.

After restarting the sqlbrowser I get the same message:
    The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance SQLEXPRESS is not valid.

Kind regards.
    Monday, February 07, 2011 2:01 PM
  • The "SQL Browser" service is not the database engine, the db engine service is named "SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)".
    Monday, February 07, 2011 2:12 PM
  • sorry, but I don't know much about SQL!
    I only want to solve this error message: The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance SQLEXPRESS is not valid.

I still don't understand why I get this message and how to solve this?

Kind regards.
    Monday, February 07, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Hi AX7R,

Can you let us know which version of SQL Server you are running? You can run SELECT @@VERSION to get that info.

How do you get this error message? Does it come from SQL Sever Browser Services? If so, you may try temporarily disable SQL Server Browser Services in the SQL Server Configuration Manager (right-click and click Stop button) to see if that works.

You may have inappropriate SQL Server protocol setttings, please check each one of SQL Server Protocles under SQL Server Configuration Manager -> SQL Server [version] Network Configuration -> Protocols for SQLEXPRESS. Typically, if you only connect locally, you can just leave shared memeory open and disable all others. Also, please don't enable VIA protocol, if VIA is not supported by your hardware.

If you have DBA around you, you may involve one of them to look into this issue. There is a long previous thread which also taking about the same issue, some of replies provided worked solution; You may have a try to see if they work, you could access it via http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/a11f5068-9c37-46e2-bc04-f1862969d938.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more help.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 5:43 AM
  • Hello ChunSong,

Version:
    Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition 9.00.5000.00

Everything is working fine I get the message in the event viewer of Microsoft.

Protocols that are enbled:
    - shared memory
    - named pipes
    - tcp/ip

I only connect locally!

Kind regards.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 12:06 PM
  • Hi,

Everything is works well and you can connect to the SQL Server 2005 Express instance (it is 2005 SP4 from the build number). However, you get the error message from Windows System Viewer. If so, you may able to fix the issue by uninstall and install SQL Server Browser Service.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:08 AM
  • Hi,

I've disabled the browser service because I don't need this service.
    Issue temporarily solved!

I want to thank everybody.

Kind regards.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:34 AM