none
.iso.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Question

• I'm trying to download SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard but I keep getting these error messages about 30-50mins into a download. It is incredibly frustrating!!!

c:\filepath\MONSF9QE.iso.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

I've tried this mainly with the SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard but the Enterprise too.

How can I get this sorted please?

Anyone?

Monday, January 09, 2012 9:32 PM

Answers

• Aahh very perseptive! :-)

Yes I'm using the Fox - I didn't give it a second thought. Ok, what you mentioned sort of makes sense. I will give it a try this evening (I'm at work now) and change the proxy settings. If that doesn't work I'll try IE. I'll up date this thread accordingly.

Thanks very much for your replies Sean.  :-)

• Marked as answer by fuzzbox Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:07 PM
    • Edited by fuzzbox Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:08 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When you say downloading are you actually downloading from the Microsoft website? What is the size of the file that you are trying to download? Are you downloading via a proxy server?

When the download stops/fails can you view the c:\filepath\MONSF9QE.iso.part file and is it always the same size?

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:45 AM
  • Hi,

yeah I'm downloading from the TechNet site. I log in and choose what I want, in this case SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard. Click the Download Button and wait... I had no problem with Windows Server 2008 and SharePoint Server 2010. I did exactly the same thing. I have spent hours trying to do this but to no avail. I have even tried the Enterprise version too which gave me the same error about 30-50 mins into the download. The size of the file is around 4 GB.

It's driving me mad! What am I doing wrong?

I have googled this but I can't seem to find a reliable answer.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:42 AM
  • What is the total size of the Sharepoint 2010 and Windows 2008 downloads that completed ok? Are you going via a proxy server? Some proxy servers can be limited and cause issues similar to this.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:56 AM
  • thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure exactly but the SharePoint and Win 2k8 were around 2-3 GB each download.

As I mentioned I just clicked the Download button and I'm not aware of any proxy server.

So, how do I find out? and if so, I guess I will have to change the proxy server?

thanks Sean

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:13 AM
  • Sounds like you are using Firefox - right? If so try opening Firefox goto Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Settings - you can see the proxy settings there.

You might also want to try another web browser or try clearing the offline storage cache in the same location in FFox.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:18 AM
  • Aahh very perseptive! :-)

Yes I'm using the Fox - I didn't give it a second thought. Ok, what you mentioned sort of makes sense. I will give it a try this evening (I'm at work now) and change the proxy settings. If that doesn't work I'll try IE. I'll up date this thread accordingly.

Thanks very much for your replies Sean.  :-)

• Edited by fuzzbox Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:08 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:34 AM
  • Can you get any details about your proxy server or ask the network admin, etc? It may be that the proxy server is using a FAT32 file system which can support files up to 4GB or another 32 bit Unix/Linux system that has no support for large files, etc.

This means when the download goes via the proxy the proxy server can only download the 1st 4GB of data.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:43 AM
  • ..no unfortunately, as it is on my laptop at home. I will investigate and let you know.

thanks Sean

• Unmarked as answer by fuzzbox Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:09 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:17 AM
  • I switched to IE and used the File Transfer Manager. Downloaded SQL Server 2008 R2 with no problems. Thank you for your help Sean.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:07 PM
  • I switched to IE and used the File Transfer Manager. Downloaded SQL Server 2008 R2 with no problems. Thank you for your help Sean.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:09 PM