none
Unable to Install SQL Server 8 on Windows 7 Due to FusionRebootCheck Problem

Question

• I have repeatedly attempted to install SQl Server 8 Developer Edition on a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate on an x86 machine. Every time I attempt the install, it fails on the FusionRebootCheck error. I'm almost ready to uninstall Win 7 and go with Server 2008 due to this aggravation. Please advise of how I can resolve this problem!

Saturday, January 09, 2010 1:12 PM

Answers

• Actually, I JUST resolved this issue. I thought that perhaps there MIGHT be some Windows update that needed applying so I told the system to apply ALL updates. I noticed that it wanted to install SP1 for SQl Server 8. This was odd since SQl Server 8 wouldn't install. I know the setup files are left on the disk so I took a shot in the dark and let it install the service pack. I then rebooted the machine and reattempted to install SQL Server and A-M-A-Z-I-N-G-L-Y the install worked. So the trick was to try a failed install, install SQL Server SP1, THEN install SQL Server. Go figure...but it worked.  

Now I just have to figure out WTF is FILESTREAM and how to install that so I can install ALL the AdventureWorks sample databases.
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Hi,

To enable all AdventureWorks sample databases for SQL Server 2008, you need to enable: FILESTREAM and Full-Text Search Service before installing. Please follow this thread to install AdventureWorks sample databases.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/de808f99-e2fa-45d3-8e05-401b542c18c8/.
    Chunsong Feng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:43 AM

All replies

• FusionRebootCheck

Checks if a pending computer restart is required. A pending restart can cause Setup to fail.

A computer restart is required. You must restart this computer before installing SQL Server.

Can you please post the error log details .  

how to read sql server setup log files :http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702.aspx  : Please make Sure that you have installed the last service pack as the OS is Windows 7   !

Saturday, January 09, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Actually, I JUST resolved this issue. I thought that perhaps there MIGHT be some Windows update that needed applying so I told the system to apply ALL updates. I noticed that it wanted to install SP1 for SQl Server 8. This was odd since SQl Server 8 wouldn't install. I know the setup files are left on the disk so I took a shot in the dark and let it install the service pack. I then rebooted the machine and reattempted to install SQL Server and A-M-A-Z-I-N-G-L-Y the install worked. So the trick was to try a failed install, install SQL Server SP1, THEN install SQL Server. Go figure...but it worked.  

Now I just have to figure out WTF is FILESTREAM and how to install that so I can install ALL the AdventureWorks sample databases.
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Yes as said if you want sql server 2005 or sql serevr 2008 to be installed on windows 7 you need apply the last service pack . Good to hear that the issue is resolved . Let us know if you need any further information ! 
    ----
    Thanks,Suhas V 
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 6:44 PM
  • Filestream is a technology in SQL Server 2008 that allows the OS to manage files instead of SQL, which is supposed to be more efficient for larger file sizes. You should not need it for the AW databases though. You should be able to just install the databases and then attach them in SQL if need be.
    Joie Andrew "Since 1982"
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:31 PM
  • Hi,

To enable all AdventureWorks sample databases for SQL Server 2008, you need to enable: FILESTREAM and Full-Text Search Service before installing. Please follow this thread to install AdventureWorks sample databases.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/de808f99-e2fa-45d3-8e05-401b542c18c8/.
    Chunsong Feng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:43 AM