none
Dimension Update

Question

• For a shared dimension, if that dimension is used across a couple of Cubes and during the incremental process of the cubes, if the dimension is updated, then is it fine to process that dimension table only once ?

Monday, August 11, 2008 6:37 AM

Answers

• Yes, as long as you can make sure that no new records are added to the dimension as you process the other cubes you should be fine. You only need to process the dimension once and then you can process multiple cubes/partitions that refer to that dimension.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:33 AM

All replies

• Yes, as long as you can make sure that no new records are added to the dimension as you process the other cubes you should be fine. You only need to process the dimension once and then you can process multiple cubes/partitions that refer to that dimension.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:33 AM
  • Thanks Darren for your reply.

Let me put my question in a different way. Say, I have 2 cubes Cube A and Cube B. I have Dim 1 and Dim 2 as shared between these two cubes.These Cubes A and B have other dimensions as well. Now, let's say Dim 1 has been changed and Cube A has been processed. After processing, Cube A should reflect the changes. Now even though Dim 1 has changed, I am not interested to process Cube B and not worried to bring these changes in Dim 1 into Cube B. But when I am going for reporting, whether I can face any problem while accessing cube B? To my basic understanding, we should not face any problem but wanted to confirm.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:32 AM
  • As long as you don't do a full process on Dim 1 you should not face any issues. It depends on what sort of changes you make to Dim 1. If you do updates to member names that have data in Cube B you will see those changes when you browse Cube B. If you add new members which only relate to data in Cube A you will still be able to see those empty members in the dimension when you browse Cube B. But you should be able to update Dim 1 without loosing the data already in Cube B (assuming that you are not making structural changes to the data)

If you do a full process on a dimension, the data for any cubes which reference that dimension will be cleared out. But if you are only updating or adding members you should be fine.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:50 PM
  • Thanks Darren. Now it is more clear to me.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:59 AM
  • hmmmm.

so i have a dimension containing abc shared across cube a, and cube b.

I go to process Cube B, and it finds a new letter "c".  Normally that causes a big unhappy error.

So, I reprocess the dimension, then reprocess Cube B. All is good.

You are saying Cube A will still be up, functional and happy???

What happens when I select a "c"????
    Friday, August 15, 2008 4:44 AM