none
sql server 2005 downed unexpectedly with ms dtc messages

Question

•  

this morning , our sql server 2005 downed unexpectedly. we started service manually. we analysed event logs. Bu we can not understand exact teason.the event logs messages in time ordered are as below.

*The MS DTC service is stopping.

*The connection has been lost with Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC). Recovery of any in-doubt distributed transactions involving Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC) will begin once the connection is re-established. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

*Configuration option 'Agent XPs' changed from 1 to 0. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

*SQLServerAgent service successfully stopped.

*Service Broker manager has shut down.

*SQL Server is terminating in response to a 'stop' request from Service Control Manager. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

*SQL Trace was stopped due to server shutdown. Trace ID = '1'. This is an informational message only; no user action is required.

*The Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator service was successfully installed.

*MS DTC started with the following settings (OFF = 0 and ON = 1):

*  Security Configuration:
          Network Administration of Transactions = 0,
          Network Clients = 0,
          Inbound Distributed Transactions using Native MSDTC Protocol = 0,
          Outbound Distributed Transactions using Native MSDTC Protocol = 0,
          Transaction Internet Protocol (TIP) = 0,
          XA Transactions = 0
      Filtering Duplicate events = 1

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 8:48 AM

All replies

• Couple of starting points I can jot down right at this moment from the top of my mind -

1/ Have you checked only the application events, can you see the system logs as well and see what is there; also you can see the security log and see who/what logged in around that time. This info will help in deducing what happened as you collect further data/information from the subsequent points.

2/ Do you have any dump files created by the SQL Server.

3/ Is there anything apart from this in the SQL error log.

4/ Will you able to check the default trace file and see what/who/how was running at around that time.

Pradyumna

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 10:36 AM
  • I hope Server is in clustering mode, what i can suspect is ur disk (shared Disk on SAN or NAS) went offline resulting SQL Server shutdown unexpectedly.

Check the event log for some error related to disk and cluster

Mohd Sufian www.sqlship.wordpress.com Please mark the post as Answered if it helped.
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 1:03 PM
  • Please look at the SQL Server log file for the reason for the shutdown.
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 2:22 PM
  • in fact, we checked all logs, but we can not reach any clue.

yhe intersting thing is the server is not in clustered node. despite that it gives error about ms dtc.

regards

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 10:57 AM
  • The event messages you posted are the result of the shutdown, not the cause of the shutdown.  You need to go farther back in your logs to find out why the shutdown started.
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 3:13 PM
  • There are a couple of MSDTC Error reasons at this link too:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa561924(BTS.20).aspx

Maninder
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 3:36 PM
  • Hi,

Please check Network Service has the sufficient permissions on the %windows%\system32\msdtc folder.

If there are any more problems, please let me know.
    Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 4:05 AM
  • what seems to be interesting me, it gives a message as the ms dtc was reinstalled.

the 8th item, in event sequence;

*The Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator service was successfully installed.

Thursday, May 06, 2010 7:45 AM
  • I got the same problem as you.

What I did was enable the option "enable network DTC access" in "add/delete windows components", after I did this, I found the sql server serverice/sql server agent service was stopped. 

I don't know why re-installing MSDTC brings SQL Server related services stopped.

2010-06-08 17:48:09.12 Server   The connection has been lost with Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC). Recovery of any in-doubt distributed transactions involving Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC) will begin once the connection is re-established. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
    2010-06-08 17:48:11.53 spid52      Configuration option 'Agent XPs' changed from 1 to 0. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

2010-06-08 17:48:14.11 spid76      The client was unable to reuse a session with SPID 76, which had been reset for connection pooling. This error may have been caused by an earlier operation failing. Check the error logs for failed operations immediately before this error message.
    2010-06-08 17:48:14.12 spid14s     Service Broker manager has shut down.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 10:33 AM
  • Hi !

Same problem here. Installing SNMP protocol shut down MSDTC and all SQL services.

We reproduced the issue manually.

Friday, June 25, 2010 7:40 PM
  • That's it!! We also re-installed the SNMP service, which stopped the MSDTC service, which caused the SQL services to stop. Thanks JacquesB
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:58 PM