none
Setup has detected a non canonical discretionary access control list (DACL) on directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\'.

Question

• I have successfully installed SQL 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition x64.  The last screen in the install shows successful completion of the 2008 R2 install but also has a warning: 

Setup has detected a non canonical discretionary access control list (DACL) on directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\'. Please verify your security settings and make corrections if needed.

I see 1 other post about this, but no answer was given.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

SQLdba2010
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:17 PM

Answers

• go to the folder properties and clicked on Security tab and clicked on Edit option. Do you get any error? you may get error that permissions are not proper, do you want to reorder them. Click Reorder and add permissions.
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani
    Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:35 PM
  • I recently just happen this problem and I did the same to explain here: look at the ACL in the specified directory. For me this message came so:
    "Setup has detected a non canonical discretionary access control list (DACL) on directory ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\’.Please verify your security settings and make corretions if needed.Access is denied ".
    As at the end of the error says "Access denied" I went to the installation of SQL Server logs. If you look in c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Bootstrap\Log you will find the subfolders with the logs of your installation, go to the most recesont and support you in the Summary.txt and Detail.txt files looking for the key words of the error.
    Basically the error is not what it tells you the message because the SQL installer is who creates the folder in Program Files and configures access according to what is needed for each subfolder
    The access denied occurs because SQL Server Installer not gained access to the "debug programs" local security policy with the user that you installing (member domain admin group neither local admin)
    In the end, we found accounts they had restrictions on domain for the local policies of the computer (server win 2003) that SQL needs to access. Removing the computer's domain and installing as stand alone was achieved the successful installation of SQL Server and not threw the error Access Denied.
    Validates this in your situation and tell us how you will
    Regards.
    Mary Arcia.-
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:32 AM

All replies

• go to the folder properties and clicked on Security tab and clicked on Edit option. Do you get any error? you may get error that permissions are not proper, do you want to reorder them. Click Reorder and add permissions.
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
  • I meant C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared folder in my last reply.
  • I recently just happen this problem and I did the same to explain here: look at the ACL in the specified directory. For me this message came so:
    "Setup has detected a non canonical discretionary access control list (DACL) on directory ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\’.Please verify your security settings and make corretions if needed.Access is denied ".
    As at the end of the error says "Access denied" I went to the installation of SQL Server logs. If you look in c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Bootstrap\Log you will find the subfolders with the logs of your installation, go to the most recesont and support you in the Summary.txt and Detail.txt files looking for the key words of the error.
    Basically the error is not what it tells you the message because the SQL installer is who creates the folder in Program Files and configures access according to what is needed for each subfolder
    The access denied occurs because SQL Server Installer not gained access to the "debug programs" local security policy with the user that you installing (member domain admin group neither local admin)
    In the end, we found accounts they had restrictions on domain for the local policies of the computer (server win 2003) that SQL needs to access. Removing the computer's domain and installing as stand alone was achieved the successful installation of SQL Server and not threw the error Access Denied.
    Validates this in your situation and tell us how you will
    Regards.
    Mary Arcia.-
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:32 AM