none
SSRS 2008 R2 database running on SQL 2012 Database Engine?

Question

• Would it be OK to place a SSRS 2008 R2 database on a SQL 2012 DB Engine instance with the database running at a 2008 compatibility level and would this be a supported configuration? Cant seem to find this information anywhere.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:01 PM

Answers

• In short: Yes it is "ok". The only thing that differs from "real" 2012 is that certain (new) T-SQL syntax is not supported in this database.

And certain commands are deprecated of course. But for the database itself it does not matter.

Be aware though, that you cannot re-attach it to SQL 2008 R2 afterwards. Its a one-way operation.

Andreas Wolter | Microsoft Certified Master SQL Server
    Blog: www.insidesql.org/blogs/andreaswolter
    Web: www.andreas-wolter.com

• Marked as answer by Paul__W Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:55 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:35 PM
  • I just realized you are talking about the Reporting Services system databases specifically.

Well, same rules apply of course. I do not now of any problems for SSRS itself.

But added to that, it's a "scale-out scenario", which is enterprise-only.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:38 PM

All replies

• In short: Yes it is "ok". The only thing that differs from "real" 2012 is that certain (new) T-SQL syntax is not supported in this database.

And certain commands are deprecated of course. But for the database itself it does not matter.

Be aware though, that you cannot re-attach it to SQL 2008 R2 afterwards. Its a one-way operation.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:35 PM
  • I just realized you are talking about the Reporting Services system databases specifically.

Well, same rules apply of course. I do not now of any problems for SSRS itself.

But added to that, it's a "scale-out scenario", which is enterprise-only.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:38 PM
  • The issue is application compatibility. While the application is compatible with SQL 2012 database engine 2012  for its own database, SSRS compatibility only extends to 2008 R2. I would simply prefer to use SQL 2012 for the database engine as it seems to perform significantly faster than the 2008 R2 database engine.

Thank you for the information!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:54 PM