none
MySQL vs. MS SQL Server. What's the difference?

Question

• I'm a beginner programmer and databases are still a bit of a mystery to me. I have some basic questions that I can't find direct answers for anywhere but which I think should be fairly simple for someone acquainted with using databases in programming.

1. MySQL & MS SQL Server (or Express)...what's the difference?  Are they mutually compatible? Are all SQL files written in the same file format?

2. If I write create a MySQL database on my website to store customer data, can my application which was written with VB 2005 Express (and which uses MS SQL Server Express) read those database files?  Vice-versa?

3. If I create a MS SQL database in VB express for my application, is that database on some huge central server somewhere or is my computer used as the server, or what? (yeah, I know that's probably a really stupid question but I can find the answer in any of the three programming books I've bought in recent months or online either.)

4. I've read the MySQL is free unless I use the databases within an actual application from which I'm making money, in which case I need to buy a license. What about MS SQL Server or MS SQL Express?  Microsoft can be so withholding about what costs money, what is free, and what is temporarily free.

That's all for now...I hope someone can answer my stupid questions.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:40 PM

Answers

• 1. No the file types are not compatible, they are from different vendors. Even the SQL symtax differ but shares a common dictionary the SQL Ansi standard.

2. That depends on how you did your database layer implementation. Some developers use the generic adapter approach making database capable for many database whereas only the adapter using to connect to the database has to be exchange. if you are using the SQL* classes in youa application and not the e.g. OLEDb like olecbcommand you cannot switch to another database within your application.

3. The SQL Server editions (beside the compact edition) run as services. They do not have to run on a "central computer" and can be based on normal pcs (depending on the edition you need a server OS to install the services like for enterprise edition) The SQL Server express editions were designed to run on normal worksatation having a local database stored on the computer.

4. All edition beside the SQL Server Express and the Compact editions have to be licensed. they either go by the Server/cal or the processor licence. SQL Server Express and Comnpact edition are free not matter if you shipping them with your applications or using them privately.

See the frature comparisons on this site for more information wheter SQL Server Express fits your needs, as it has some limitations:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx

No stupid question at all :-)

Jens K. Suessmeyer.

---
    http://www.sqlserver2005.de
    ---

Friday, July 20, 2007 8:31 AM

All replies

• 1. No the file types are not compatible, they are from different vendors. Even the SQL symtax differ but shares a common dictionary the SQL Ansi standard.

2. That depends on how you did your database layer implementation. Some developers use the generic adapter approach making database capable for many database whereas only the adapter using to connect to the database has to be exchange. if you are using the SQL* classes in youa application and not the e.g. OLEDb like olecbcommand you cannot switch to another database within your application.

3. The SQL Server editions (beside the compact edition) run as services. They do not have to run on a "central computer" and can be based on normal pcs (depending on the edition you need a server OS to install the services like for enterprise edition) The SQL Server express editions were designed to run on normal worksatation having a local database stored on the computer.

4. All edition beside the SQL Server Express and the Compact editions have to be licensed. they either go by the Server/cal or the processor licence. SQL Server Express and Comnpact edition are free not matter if you shipping them with your applications or using them privately.

See the frature comparisons on this site for more information wheter SQL Server Express fits your needs, as it has some limitations:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx

No stupid question at all :-)

Jens K. Suessmeyer.

---
    http://www.sqlserver2005.de
    ---

Friday, July 20, 2007 8:31 AM
  • Hey Jens, thank you so much for answering my questions.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 4:48 PM