none
what does exactly ad hoc mean?

Question

• Hi there

I noticed that lot books mention ad hoc reporting model, what does exactly this phrase mean here? I know it's a latin expression meaning "this" or "for this purpose", but still I dont get it, Say what's the difference between "reporting model" and "ad hoc reporting model"? In other word, is this really necessary to use this wierd thing to describe something? Thanks.
    allan
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:59 PM

Answers

• From the perspective of reporting, ad hoc refers to a reporting interface that allows the user to design the query and manipulate the shape of the report at runtime. This is in contrast to pre-created or static reports which do not allow the user the same flexibility.

You will often hear terms similar to:
    - static analysis - pre-canned reports that may offer some user filters
    - guided analysis - reports that support filtering, drill-down and click-through e.g. from a product dashboard to a product list report
    - ad hoc analysis - complete freedom to atrrange data elements and contruct the query on the fly e.g. excel pivot tables
    Adam Tappis. (MCSD VB6 & .NET, MCDBA SQL 2000)
    • Marked as answer by allan8964 Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:03 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi, Allan.

Check this .

Truth is opened the prepared mind My blog - http://a33ik.blogspot.com
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:16 PM
  • From the perspective of reporting, ad hoc refers to a reporting interface that allows the user to design the query and manipulate the shape of the report at runtime. This is in contrast to pre-created or static reports which do not allow the user the same flexibility.

You will often hear terms similar to:
    - static analysis - pre-canned reports that may offer some user filters
    - guided analysis - reports that support filtering, drill-down and click-through e.g. from a product dashboard to a product list report
    - ad hoc analysis - complete freedom to atrrange data elements and contruct the query on the fly e.g. excel pivot tables
    Adam Tappis. (MCSD VB6 & .NET, MCDBA SQL 2000)
    • Marked as answer by allan8964 Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:03 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:20 PM
  • thanks Adam, i found this link which has similar definition as yours.
    http://unodocs.nmsu.edu/RoboDocs/WebHelp/cognos/what_is_an_ad_hoc_report_.htm

allan
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:03 PM