none
SQL Server 2000 - What is fully patched and How do you get it fully patched Sp4+

All replies

• Basically you should be on SP4:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesrvrfaq#SQL%20Server

Although you should really test to see if your issue is resolved on the cumulative update (2187).

'Fully patched' is whatever the minimum service pack level MS will support as defined in that document above, plus whatever patches you need to have applied if you have seen issues that need patching. In other words, if SP4 is the minumum supported version than that's all you need, unless you're running into issues that have been fixed in a post SP4 patch.

2249 was the last hotfix build and the product has entered a phase in its lifecycle where it's not going to get any more hotfixes unless security or corruption issues are uncovered and SQL 2000 hotfixes are only available via MS support. Don't apply hotfixes for the sake of applying them. Only apply them if you know it fixes an issue you're running into.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:42 PM
  • Hmmm ... this is what collegues have alluded to ... but its good have it confirmed - thanks Ajmer.

... the thought of waiting till you have a known errors occure before you patch fills me with dread esp in production environments.
    ... Some of these Fixes don't look that obscure.

Build 2040
    (KB899761 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899761/) ...
    FIX: Not all memory is available when AWE is enabled on a computer that is running a 32-bit version of SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 )
    is a know issue and with awe enabled the microsoft recommendations are clearly to apply it.

So I guess the choices have narrowed to :
    SP4_8.00.2039+8.00.2040 - downloadable
    or
    SP4_8.00.2039+8.00.2187(which includes Build 2040 (KB899761) ) also downloadable

Whats is the common practice here ?.
    Why do microsoft offer a cumulative rollup if the advise is to stick to just applying the individual fixes to individual errors ?.

Thanks Again

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:26 PM
  • If you have more than 4GB installed on your server and it's awe enabled then of course you'd want the 2040 patch; like I said, if you know your issue is fixed in a patch then apply the patch.

CUs are a recent 'innovation' as prior to build 2187 it was just hotfixes and SPs.

You're better off applying a cumulative update (CU) containing that hotfix, given the choice of a straight hotfix or subsequent CU, as the CUs do tend do go through a more enhanced testing phase (as well was being an accumulation of a number of hotfixes).

The point to stop patching is the point at where you're on a supported SP level and not running into any issues requiring a patch. If that happens to be what you perceive as being an old build than so be it - wouldn't you rather be running on a stable 'older build' platform than explaining to users why they suffered downtime because one of your SQL installations suddenly ran into issues after applying a patch that wasn't really needed? (Of course, you'd have tested it thoroughly on a test/staging env first, but...)

Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Andy,

Please make sure you check the end of life documentation for SQL Server 2000. We recently called MS on a Premier Support Contract about a SQL Server 2005 SP1 server. They did NOT want to support it!

As far as I know SQL 2000 was end of life as of April 8. 2008. This was directly from the MS support site and confirmed by our TAM. They will offer extended support for $40,000 per incident.

My advice: If you can get up to 2005, do it. Especially if it's a production environment where you may possibly need MS support.

Cheers,

Leslie

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:28 PM
  • We went as far as rolloup 2187 in the end

I come accross this very usefull website during my investigations which i found very helpfull

http://www.sqlsecurity.com/FAQs/SQLServerVersionDatabase/tabid/63/Default.aspx

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 3:43 PM
  • "A hotfix package does not replace a service pack. A hotfix package is optional. A hotfix package can be installed or uninstalled at any time. Additionally, hotfix packages are cumulative. Therefore, the latest OD hotfix package or CU hotfix package includes all previously released hotfixes."

This is from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935897 which explains Microsoft's model for updates to SQL Server.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 4:22 PM
  • I'm not sure that MS won't support SQL 2000 any more.  This is because today they are assisting us with an issue and I believe we will have to apply the hotfix to our SQL 2000 server.  It did not cost $40k for this incident.

All I can say is attempt to call them and roll the dice.  Maybe we got lucky or perhaps its a ploy to get everyone to SQL 2005/2008.  In any case, if you have the ability create free cases, see if you can open one for a SQL2000 box.  We did and they even accepted my free (2) incidents from technet.  So we got lucky.

We are experiencing a problem while using Idera Diagnostic Monitor and have opened cases both with Idera and MS.  Both point the finger at each other but I hope the hotfix will resolve this issue.

Andy
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:56 PM
  • For more informarion about the support life cycle of SQL Server 2000 is mentioned here:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=2852

Make sure you upgrade to a supported version within the standard support timeframe as main stream support ended in 2008 (April). Extended support has to be paid and be available till 2013. For more qustions see the information on the site.

Jens K. Suessmeyer
    Friday, February 13, 2009 9:16 AM