none
How to create a dashboard in SSRS 2008

Question

• Hi,

I need to create a dashboard with KPI's and Data-Bars in SSRS 2008. I believe that data bars and KPI's are supported only in the SSRS 2008 R2 Version (November (CTP).

can these dashboards be created in the Initial version of SSRS 2008 where these KPI's and Data bars can be added as a plug-in or something ?

Has anyone done this before??

Thanks in advance,
    Suman
    Friday, March 12, 2010 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Suman,

By default, there are no such indicator templates in SSRS 2008. If have to do it, there is a workaround for you. That is to create some pictures for these indicators, on the tablix, add a column to place a image control, and in the image value property, define an expression to control which indicator picture to show for the values of the numeric fields. This should be workable.

thanks,
    Jerry  
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:03 AM
  • Write an expression for the font, something like
    =iif(measure>10,10,20)
    You can use nested iif loops for more fontsizes. 

If you want the font size to increase base don a range, for example the firts 10% should have 10 fontsize, next 80% should have 12 and the last 10% should have 20, then you can write a custom VB function to get the range, and then use it in the expression for fontsize.

Same thing for the expression for colors also.

Yeah, I implemented a POC for this long ago, trying to find a custom implementation for Heatmaps in SSRS

Cheers, Jason P.S. : Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button if a post solves your problem! :)
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Suman,

Could you give an example here to illustrate what your report looks like? Maybe, there is some way to achieve this.

thanks,
    Jerry
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

I am sorry i could not find a way to upload any document here. So I am posting a link that contains some dummy data. Hope that will be useful for understanding the issue.
    http://business-intelligence.kdejonge.net/category/reporting-services
    What I am looking for is the second last chart from the bottom in the page.

Thanks,
    Suman
    Monday, March 15, 2010 7:11 AM
  • Hi Suman,

By default, there are no such indicator templates in SSRS 2008. If have to do it, there is a workaround for you. That is to create some pictures for these indicators, on the tablix, add a column to place a image control, and in the image value property, define an expression to control which indicator picture to show for the values of the numeric fields. This should be workable.

thanks,
    Jerry  
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:03 AM
  • Thanks Jerry for your suggestion. I can create some indicators like "upward arrow" or "downword arrow" and show them depending on some condition. But can we also increase/decrease the length of these indicators alongwith any color property ?

If that works then my issue would be resolved.

~Suman
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:28 AM
  • Hi Suman,

If you want the size also to increase, I can suggest a work around. Use a textbox and type N in that. Now change the font to Wingdings and that N will be transformed to a square now.
    Once this has been done, you can modify the font size using an expression so that it increases or decreases based on some condition. Same way, you can change the color also according to an expression (lets say, red for bad sales and Green for good sales)

Cheers, Jason P.S. : Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button if a post solves your problem! :)
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:34 AM
  • Hi Jason,

The idea seems to be interesting..have you actually implemented any such logic as part of business requirement ?

In my case the number of rows will be dynamic (let us consider some 20 rows are fetched for a particular filter selection). So suppose if the data (on which I need to show the data bars) has values in the range of say..10-1000 then how do I dynamically control the font size as it should ideally be done in proportion to the data. I guess in your approach we can show the data bars but will not be able to implement the lenght in exact proportion.

Thanks for your post,
    ~Suman
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:55 AM
  • Write an expression for the font, something like
    =iif(measure>10,10,20)
    You can use nested iif loops for more fontsizes. 

If you want the font size to increase base don a range, for example the firts 10% should have 10 fontsize, next 80% should have 12 and the last 10% should have 20, then you can write a custom VB function to get the range, and then use it in the expression for fontsize.

Same thing for the expression for colors also.

Yeah, I implemented a POC for this long ago, trying to find a custom implementation for Heatmaps in SSRS

Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:56 PM
  • Follow this post to see how to do it

http://road-blogs.blogspot.com/2010/04/dashboards-in-ssrs-2008.html

Cheers,
    Jason
    My Blog
    P.S. : Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button if a post solves your problem! :)
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 2:42 PM